cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This page is no longer active

close

For up-to-date information and comments, search the EE Community or start a new topic.

Pixel 6 and eSim - Slow Hotspot/Tethering

CJTiney
Explorer

So, I got a Pixel 6 and decided to go for an eSim (because new technology's always good, right?!). Whilst I was waiting for the eSim to become available, I popped my old sim card in my Pixel 6. 

I use moble hotspots/USB tethering a lot, for both my work laptop as well as my personal one when I'm out and about. When I had the physical sim card in my phone, I was achieving 5G speeds on both downloads and uploads on any device I was tethering to (the expected 50+mbps DL and 10-12mbps UL), and was very happy.

Since activating the eSim though, my DL speed on any tethered device has dropped to around 0.4mbps. The UL is unaffected and remains at 5G speeds. Whilst tethered, I've ran a speed test on the tethered device, then immediately after ran the same speed test directly on the phone. The phone is still achieving 50+mbps speeds, yet tethering is unusably slow - Outlook on my work laptop locks up when I try and open an email, it's that slow!! I've gone through every setting I can find that might affect this, but nothing works. Everything was fine until I used the eSim, so I can only assume it's something to do with the sim setup?

Has anyone else encountered this issue, on any eSim device?

EE, can you help?! 

2 REPLIES 2
CJTiney
Explorer

I've tried:

- both USB and wifi tethering (both have the same result)

- Turing off Bluetooth

- Turing off power saving options

- Turing off Extended compatibility

- Turing off Smart Networks

- Turing the phone on and off again (after each setting change, too)

- Switching from Airplane mode and back

- Disabling my VPN

- Connecting to multiple devices (All have the same issue)

- Switching off roaming

- Turning off Data saver and ensuring there are no data limits set

Jon_K
Former EE Employee

Hi @CJTiney.

Welcome to the community.

Thanks for letting us know everything that you've already tried.

I'd recommend getting in touch with our Customer Care team so they can raise an investigation ticket and look into this further for you. They may ask you to provide specific examples of times/dates/locations where you are experiencing this.

Jon