cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This page is no longer active

close

For up-to-date information and comments, search the EE Community or start a new topic.

4GEE broadband slow download but fast upload

CliffK
Investigator
Investigator

Hi, I am getting variable download speeds on my new 4GEE WiFi - ranges from 1.8 to 18 Mb/s (upload is around 20-30 Mb/s). When I signed up, I was told I would get 35Mb/s download.

What I have is not fast enough to stream video, so it is not meeting my needs.

There are no coverage or network problems.

There are no problems with interference of the WiFi signal.

Any help would be appreciated.

4 REPLIES 4
Chris_B
Grand Master
Grand Master

@CliffK  T  The WiFi signal from the device to the device being used could have interference,  have you put the WiFi device close to an electrical appliance ? as this could cause issues Can you move it away from all electrical appliances and test it.  

Hi Chris, thanks for the reply.

I've moved the router to the other side of the room, away from everything. This has made no difference, in fact the download speed is now often less than 1Mb/s according to Speedtest.

This is not an acceptable service.

Cliff

wardi
Star Contributor
Star Contributor

CliffK.. how far are you from the nearest transmitter?  As an experiment try setting your phone up as your router (tethering).  Then do a speed test - it will pull in the same data as the router so should give similar results.  If the phone gives much better speeds then it points to a potential problem with the router.

I have a 4GEE router, as I am only about 1 mile from the transmitter I get around 60-90 download and 30 upload via a couple of small stub antenna on the back of the router.

Hi Wardi,

thanks for the reply, and I can see the sense in your suggestion.

What I have found is that by changing from viewing streamed service via a browser to via the service app (e.g. use the 'My 4' app instead of viewing it through Chrome), my streaming issues have disappeared.

The reported download rate via Speedtest remains slow, but the service now gives me what I want. I'm in the process of moving house, so can't put any more time into investigating - maybe later.

Cheers