cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Surcharge on upgrading on anytime plan

Jonnj751
Explorer

I currently have a contract iPhone 13 Pro Max 1TB

its on the anytime plan that allows me to upgrade , every year - if I return my phone 

l have had an upgrade , on order, for nearly 4 weeks - it’s an iPhone 14 Pro Max

So - I’m pretty peeved at the delay in my order - but see the news articles of issues in China 

My hugest annoyance is that I was told I would have to pay  an extra £300 and surrender my old phone to keep like for like memory wise 

Apparently there are ITB models in stock 

I have had to downgrade to a 512gb model to avoid paying a surcharge

And returning a 1TB 13 pro max

The call centre guys say they sympathise and it will get fed up the chain - but will it?

Should I cancel this years upgrade and wait a year - it’s nearly 11 months and probably at least another two weeks before I get anything 

To boot   I’m getting daily messages saying I haven’t returned the old phone 

Surely this surcharge is wrong to impose on this plan? 

4 REPLIES 4
Chris_B
Grand Master
Grand Master

@Jonnj751  The return of your old device that isn’t enough to cover the cost of a 1Tb model.  Don’t forget your 13 is a year old so it’s not going to cover the cost of a new 14 pro max at £1749. 

Schockwave
Community Hero
Community Hero

@Jonnj751 , I would suggest thinking about whether you really need to upgrade to the latest IPhone or wait until next year to upgrade, your IPhone is only a year old, unless there is a problem with it, why not wait?

I still have my 12 Pto Max and will not be upgrading this year, still as good as new.

To contact EE customer service dial 150 from your mobile phone or ring customer service for free using Skype or another phone: +44 800 079 8586 or +44 800 956 6000.

Is that not covered by the £115 monthly charge?

I’ve never had an issue with this plan before 

@Jonnj751  the ability to upgrade early comes at a cost.  One being you have to have a more expensive tariff than the one your currently have is one and then any fee that’s required including the trade in of the old device.  Unfortunately £115 doesn’t cover the cost of the device and tariff that you’ve chosen plus the option to terminate your old contract.  it might be a yearly upgrade tariff but it’s still a 24 month tariff that’s only got an option to upgrade after 12 months without paying that contract off in full that will come at some cost still 

If you want a new device each year your best option is doing this through Apple and having a sim only deal.   While I can upgrade in December I’ll pass on this as a new device each year is just costly and there no much difference between iPhones each year even every 2 years now there’s not much gain.   Next years iPhone will probably worth it but only if you’re using a 12 a 13 at a push but not from a 14.  There’s no real gain on each year anymore.