cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Microphone Issue?

SPM63
Visitor

This is a really odd one! 

My daughter, who is part of my EE account, has an iPhone XR.  When she calls out from her student house, the call connects OK and she can hear the recipient, but they can't hear her.  The same happens when she receives a call ie. she can hear them, but they can't hear her.  This only happens when she's in her house. Everywhere else calls are fine and there is no issue when making and receiving calls via her Apple watch.  If she disconnects bluetooth and wifi, the problem is still there.   

It's like the microphone of her handset is being disabled and somehow this is connected to location.  Bizarre!  

Any bright ideas?

Thanks

4 REPLIES 4
Christopher_G
EE Community Support Team

Hi @SPM63

Welcome to the community.

Do you know if your daughter is connected to WiFi at the time that this happens? If so, could she try with WiFi calling switched on and switched off to see if it makes a difference?

Chris

bristolian
Legend
Legend

@SPM63 wrote:

It's like the microphone of her handset is being disabled and somehow this is connected to location. 

Do other microphone-based functions work in the same location? Such as a voice recorder app?

If not, this would suggest a device fault.

If yes, then the next step is to eliminate WiFi-calling/4G-calling from the equation.

Amelia786
Investigator
Investigator

I looked for this on various websites including youtube and solved it using to work microphone in your Apple Watch, but here are some steps you can try:-

1. Microphone Mute:- Check if the microphone is accidentally muted. Swipe up on the watch face to access Control Center and look for the microphone icon. If it has a slash through it, tap it to unmute.
2. App Permissions:- Ensure the app you're trying to use the microphone with has permission. Open the Watch app on your iPhone, go to My Watch, then Privacy. Select the app and make sure "Microphone" is turned on.
3. Dictation Enabled:- Verify that dictation is enabled on your Apple Watch. Open the Settings app on your watch, go to General, then Dictation. Ensure "Dictation" is toggled on.
4. Accessibility Settings:- Check if "Audio Accommodations" is enabled under Accessibility settings. This setting can override microphone functionality. If it's on, try turning it off.

Follow for more informatics assistance below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhAO_lNpRbI&ab_channel=TheGeekPage

@Amelia786   If you had actually read about the problem it’s not a watch issue it was a phone issue.    This is also a thread from 3/11/2022.