cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Iphone8 won’t connect to wifi

LynnPat
Explorer

My sons iphone8 has suddenly stopped connecting to wifi - the button is on grey and won’t slide to on. We have tried restarting, even restoring to factory settings etc but the wifi still won’t work. The phone apart from this works fine, it’s just using all his data very quickly. Any advice?

7 REPLIES 7
XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

What's the source of the WiFi?

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

It’s just our home wifi - we have ee broadband and also a 3 4g hub. No problems with either for any other device no the house, it is working completely fine.

Hi @LynnPat ,

Have you already followed Apple's official advice and contacted their technical support once you reach the end of the things to try?

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT204051

-- 
Contract SIM: Plan | Data | Usage | Check Status | Abroad | Chat | SMS | APN | PM
Wired: Check Speed | Test Socket | Faults | fast.com | speedtest.net

@LynnPat  If it’s greyed out and you have factory reset the device and it’s still greyed out then unfortunately the device Wi-Fi is broken.  This could be a simple fix as the cable could of just come off the Wi-Fi antenna within the device.  It could be more.   Have a look at THIS as it’s a step by step process on how to replace a Wi-Fi antenna but it’s not something I would recommend if you have never worked on an iPhone before.  Apple can fix this but it’ll not be cheap you’ll probably be best with a 3rd party repair shop.  

Thanks, was going to take it to a repair shop tomorrow but thought would ask in case we could sort it ourselves. Not keen to spend a lot to fix it but will see what they say. 

Hi @LynnPat ,

As a personal opinion, I think it would be safer and cheaper to get Apple's input via online technical support and in an Apple Store first before going third party.

Hope it gets sorted. 🤓

-- 
Contract SIM: Plan | Data | Usage | Check Status | Abroad | Chat | SMS | APN | PM
Wired: Check Speed | Test Socket | Faults | fast.com | speedtest.net

@LynnPat   Out of warranty with apple will cost you £346.44 on an iPhone 8.   You’ll need to make an apple appointment before you turn up at an Apple Store they will not deal with you if you just turn up. I’m pretty sure you’ll not get help online as they’ll need to run a remote diagnostics and that runs over Wi-Fi. 

You can use this LINK to do just that.    

@mikeliuk   At least give a link for them to use to make an appointment.