cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email not working when on mobile network

MartyBC
Contributor
Contributor

I am on an iPhone 12 Pro Max using iOS 15.6.

My email settings have worked fine, allowing me to send and receive email using the Apple Mail app.  A few months ago, things changed.  Email still works fine when I am on WiFi but is significantly delayed, or not working at all, when on the EE mobile network.  This appears to be an issue when on 3G, 4G and 5G.

I have checked my email settings with my provider (Fasthosts) and they are correct.

The iPhone settings are correct (for using mobile data for email etc).

If I refresh the mail app screen to force a download, the 'checking for mail' message shows for some minutes, then it fails to connect with the server.

I also have an Apple iCloud email account.  That works on WifI and the mobile network.  I can also access my  email using webmail.

Any suggestions greatfully received. 

88 REPLIES 88
Jon_K
Former EE Employee

Hi @MartyBC.

To get in touch with our Tech Gurus you need to give your tech team a call on 150, then they will pass you through.

Jon

paulwhalley
Investigator
Investigator

I am having the exact same problem between EE and Fasthosts. It sometimes randomly connects the email but often it just says the email server is not responding. It occurs on all our in house IT equipment both IOS and Windows 10. Connect via Virgin 4g and perfect every time, doesn't miss a beat. My problem has been with me for over 2 months now. I thought it was a blocked ip address but have reset this several times to no avail. Send via gmail using the same apps and its always spot on. I've even tried a second (PAYG) SIM from EE in a seperate mifi router connected to 4G and 3 G and its exactly the same.

There was a post on the Vodafone community forum which highlighted the same problem. In this case it was solved by removing Secure Net from the users phone number, if that makes any sense. Do EE use Secure Net or something similar?.

Is anyone else suffering?

Thanks for highlighting your own issues.  I haven't got a solution yet.  Any suggestions gratefully received.

UPDATE - Please see my message in this thread following a conversation with EE's 'Tech Guru'.

Just to update you.  I have just spoken to one of your Tech Gurus.

He has gone through all the obvious settings on my phone, which are all correct. He has not investigated issues there may be with EE servers.   He says EE policy is not to look any further into this issue because my email account is with a third party company.

I asked about escalating this issue.  His Team Leader declined to speak to me. I asked about EE's complaints procedure and was told that EE's agents (.i.e himself, in conjunction with his Team Leader) decide the outcome of complaints and their decision is that the complaint is not upheld because my email is with a third party.  I will get a call-back but he was anxious that call should be in just two days' time to prevent the fault being flagged with Ofcom.  He said that Ofcom have to be alerted to outstanding issues so they want to close requests before they get to that stage.

I asked about EE's complaints department and he said EE does not have a complaints department.

As you can guess, I am not happy with EE's tech support.  If you have any helpful advice, I will like to hear it.

UPDATE: My email supplier Fasthosts, is insistent that their systems are working fine, and my settings are correct.  They say the issue is with EE.

Leanne_T
EE Community Support Team

Hi @MartyBC @paulwhalley 

Please get in touch with out technical support team to get this investigated further, if needed they can raise a support ticket for this. 

Thanks.

Leanne.

ScottJC
Contributor
Contributor

At last! Someone with the same issue. I experience the same issue with Fasthosts hosted email accounts. Its fine over my BT wi-fi (and many other wifi connections) but not over 4G with EE and also incidentally not via my mobile EE router which I use at a second location. I have had numerous discussions with Fasthosts with logs etc but traffic appears to simply be blocked from their end and therefore times out at mine.

My son also has the same issue - separate phone, separate contract and he is on BT mobile network (same as EE).

I've been wondering if the EE IP address range I simply blacklisted but its very very odd as to how intermittent it is. Currently my consideration is to leave EE to have it work or to leave Fasthosts. It would be great to get a solution this!

paulwhalley
Investigator
Investigator

Come on EE. You have a problem interfacing with Fasthosts, can you please get down to sorting it out. There are clearly numerous users who have the same problem so its not going to be a user end setting problem and since other mobile networks seem to work happily with Fasthosts, it can only be an EE issue. As other posts have said if it can't be solved I will have to look to other networks for my 4G service.

Leanne_T

Hi @MartyBC  @paulwhalley  @ScottJC 

I have sent you a message on here for extra details. 

Leanne 🙂

Just to add weight to this, my family has 4 fasthosts accounts for email. 
Again all set up right, all working on WiFi, none working on 4G on iOS.

it IS a relatively recent thing- we could certainly get emails a year ago, using the same settings.

I notice people on Vodafone had similar issues and Vodafone fixed by switching off ‘SecureNet’

Anyway- a major issue, and one EE need to fix.

Leanne_T

Hi @ProfBranestawm

I have sent you a private message on here for some details. 

Leanne.