cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apple Watch on different network

JB75
Explorer

May be a silly question, I want to add a Apple Watch to my EE account but give as a present to someone who has an iPhone but is on the three network

will the Watch work and be compatible?

8 REPLIES 8
Chris_B
Grand Master
Grand Master

@JB75  you’ll have to have a family plan tariff,  the watch has to be setup via a iPhone on EE but the watch will have its own calls texts and data allowance.  Basically it will be like a phone on your wrist with its own contract.  The watch can be Bluetooth connected to any iPhone  on any other network but you will still have to pay the contract to EE.  Who ever has this watch will only receive calls and texts when someone dials the number for that watch when they don’t have their phone with them as the watch will not divert calls to the phone if the phone is not with that person.   If the phone is with that person then the watch will work via that iPhone.  

Very helpful, Thankyou and will take out the family tarif 👍

Get Outlook for iOS

Iam in that situation with the new watch on another network for my wife, I'm on EE and got her a watch, she is on sky, I have connected via family but the watch will Not connect to her iPhone on sky, it will not find the device via Bluetooth because it's paired to my phone, so the capability to call her phone and her watch ring is not possible? Can you explain how you came to understand that is possible?

James_B
EE Community Support Team

Hi @RichardHynam,

Welcome to the EE Community. 🙂

Did you order a personal paired plan or a family member plan? You'll need a family member plan if you don't intend to use it yourself. With the family member plan, the watch will have its own phone number for calls and texts, so calls and texts from your wife's number will only be forwarded to the watch when it is in range of her phone.

Hope this helps.

James

Hi James

thanks for your response, unfortunately, this has turned out to be untrue, after speaking to tech support in EE and 40minutes this can't be done.

If you set up a family plan, so my wife in this example who's iPhone is with sky can not receive calls or texts via the watch, the watch remains paired to mine and can not be paired with any other phone, it will have its own number and won't receive messages from mine etc but also not able to link to another iPhone.

Just thought it's worth posting so people Don't make the same mistake I did and buy one and figured out it can't be used to receive calls via a separate iPhone 

If the was any other workaround I'm all ears, but understanding what the adviser talked about and attempting a few ways seems not possible.

Thanks Richard

Leanne_T

Hi @RichardHynam

Thanks for coming back to us. 

Where did you purchase the watch, was this from EE on a paired plan? 

Leanne. 

Yes from EE but on family plan

Leanne_T

Thanks @RichardHynam 

Does the watch have it's own number and only connect to your watch via Bluetooth? 

If so and the watch has it's own number anyone should be able use this watch, it would stay on your EE account for payment. 

Leanne.