cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wifi Calling - Android Phones, SIM-only Contract (especially Galaxy S and Pixel)

tiazee
Investigator
Investigator

Hi all,

I am looking to buy a phone outright (I'm currently on a SIM only contract with EE) and I'm trying to identify  phones on which I am likely to be able to use wifi calling.

I've done a search through other posts and it sounds like:

• Some people report being able to use wifi calling on phones they have not bought from EE, if they are phones EE sells
  • There used to be a problem with non-EE provided Samsung Galaxy phones - but which devices did this relate to and was it only a problem with Samsung? (I might purchase a Samsung Galaxy S22)

One of the complications is that I want to buy a phone with 256GB storage. One option is the Pixel 6, but EE only sells the 128GB version, is that likely to mean the 256GB version bought elsewhere won't work with wifi calling?

Really grateful for any help or your own experiences with this!

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
grsdev
Expert Contributor
Expert Contributor

It used to be that Wi-Fi calling used network-specific protocols and required support in the network-branded firmware. For the past few years, however, it has been a standard protocol built right into Android itself, so with very few exceptions, support for this should be universal.

Some networks still brand the firmware in phones that they sell, so it is entirely conceivable that they would disable Wi-Fi calling on networks other than their own. The only way to get round that problem is to re-flash the phone with unbranded firmware, but that's a completely different discussion.

If you can be certain that a phone bought from Amazon is the genuine article (make sure it is sold by Amazon themselves, not a third-party seller using Amazon's platform to peddle Chinese knock-offs) then you shouldn't have any problem either.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Northerner
Grand Master
Grand Master

Hi @tiazee 

Ive purchased my mobiles direct from Samsung for years and never had any issues. (S22 Ultra at the moment)

The devices to avoid are those which were provided by other networks and are now unlocked. 

Thanks 

To contact EE Customer Services dial 150 From your EE mobile or 0800 956 6000 from any other phone. You can call Freephone +44 800 079 8586 on Skype

EE standard opening hours are 8am to 10.30pm every day.

Hi @Northerner , thanks for your reply, that's reassuring.

Have you ever heard of people having problems with wifi calling with handsets bought from Amazon?

Hi @tiazee 

As long as the firmware is the European version you shouldn't have any issues.

Thanks 

To contact EE Customer Services dial 150 From your EE mobile or 0800 956 6000 from any other phone. You can call Freephone +44 800 079 8586 on Skype

EE standard opening hours are 8am to 10.30pm every day.
grsdev
Expert Contributor
Expert Contributor

It used to be that Wi-Fi calling used network-specific protocols and required support in the network-branded firmware. For the past few years, however, it has been a standard protocol built right into Android itself, so with very few exceptions, support for this should be universal.

Some networks still brand the firmware in phones that they sell, so it is entirely conceivable that they would disable Wi-Fi calling on networks other than their own. The only way to get round that problem is to re-flash the phone with unbranded firmware, but that's a completely different discussion.

If you can be certain that a phone bought from Amazon is the genuine article (make sure it is sold by Amazon themselves, not a third-party seller using Amazon's platform to peddle Chinese knock-offs) then you shouldn't have any problem either.

Really helpful summary of the general situation, I wish EE would put something like this on their own website! Thank you

grsdev
Expert Contributor
Expert Contributor

No problem. Glad you found it helpful 🙂

grsdev
Expert Contributor
Expert Contributor

BTW, this is the kind of phone you'll end up with if you buy from some unknown Chinese seller rather from Amazon themselves: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mofiQ7EGBH8