cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WiFi Calling not avaiable on Honor 10 (COL_L29) Android phone.

BzEE
Investigator
Investigator

This phone is connected to the EE network. The WiFi  calling option is not present in the settings menu for mobile network or SIM. I see mentions elsewhere that WiFi calling works on 'supported devices' but no indication of which devices actually are supported by EE. The phone is connected via WiFi to a 4G broadband router on the EE network. This has an external aerial so the signal and speed is decent (50-100 Mbps). I have confirmed that the phone's mobile data is using the router via WiFi.

The phone (voice 4G)  signal, also on EE network, suffers serious breakup, hence the need to use WiFi calling. The EE coverage checker suggests I should get good/excellent 4G coverage indoor and outdoor!

Does anyone know if the Honor 10 is supported please. It was purchased new as SIM free/unlocked a few years ago.

If I need to get a new phone, does anyone know if the new Nokia G22 or G42 work with WiFi calling? They are also not listed on the WiFi calling EE setup web page.

Any help or suggestions welcome, thanks in advance.

7 REPLIES 7
Northerner
Grand Master
Grand Master

Hi @BzEE 

I don't believe WiFi calling will not work over EE 4G as why would it when your phone can use the same network. 

Have you tried your honour 10 on fixed line broadband. 

Thanks 

To contact EE Customer Services dial 150 From your EE mobile or 0800 956 6000 from any other phone. You can call Freephone +44 800 079 8586 on Skype

EE standard opening hours are 8am to 10.30pm every day.

Thanks for responding.

I agree it 'should' work, but the switch to enable 'WIFI Calling' is missing from the phone settings. I don't know if this is a problem with the phone itself, or something in the protocol exchange with EE has told it that the feature is not available.

Unfortunately I don't have access to fixed broadband. I am in a remote area so there is no other WIFI  nearby I can jump onto as a test.

James_B
EE Community Support Team

Hi @BzEE,

Sorry, we can only guarantee WiFi Calling support for phones purchased direct from EE.

James

This is not very helpful. Are you saying that you block devices not purchased from EE?, or do you block phone models not sold in the EE store? If this is the case then the regulator may be interested in such restrictive practices. It is this kind of response which tells me to take all my business elsewhere.

If it is the phone not working then it's my problem, but I need to know for sure if it is EE preventing it.

You cannot expect customers to keep buying phones until they find one which happens to work. The EE account which I use for my router SIM won't let me view or buy any phones anyway on ee.co.uk. I have no intention of renting a phone locked to one network.

Please would you provide a customer friendly answer I and others can use.

James_B

Hi @BzEE,

No, we don't block access to the service on any devices, but the device manufacturer needs to implement support for the EE WiFi Calling service.

We can only guarantee this is the case with phones purchased from our sales channels.

Most UK models from the major manufacturers will work with EE WiFi Calling, even if purchased elsewhere.

All phones purchased from EE are sold unlocked.

James

James,

That is a clearer response, thank you. It suggests my current (old) phone is the problem.

My best option is to ask a new phone supplier, if not EE, to confirm it will work with WIFI calling on the EE network. If I find it subsequently doesn't work I can reject it without penalty.

The EE store has a limited range, and the first phone I considered was out of stock, so it seems I will need to buy elsewhere anyway.

Thanks again.

James_B

No problem @BzEE 🙂

James