cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unlocking Your Device

vonBek
Investigator
Investigator

I've been trying to go through the unlocking process for the last two days, but after entering my valid IMEI number I constantly get  an error message saying 'Please try that again Sorry, something went wrong on our end. Please enter your IMEI again or come back later' so I'm unable to get any further.

16 REPLIES 16

You cannot use the online unlocking form for 2nd-hand phones.

To unlock a 2nd-hand phone you need to call Customer Services on +44 800 956 6000 (option 2, option 4) to put you in touch with the Unlocking Team to request an Unlock Code. You will be asked for your email addy. They will take payment (of £8.99) from any valid UK bank card.

Once the process has been started you will receive an email from the Unlocking Team to process the unlock. It can take up to 10 days to complete the unlock.

But even so beware that EE could still refuse to unlock it. Many phones sold 2nd-hand have been reported lost or stolen, have been sold by the original owner when under 6 months old without EE's permission or have money owing on them.

If that is the case your only remedy is against whoever you got the phone from.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

This isn't true. I would go so far as to say this was a lie. When you call EE you get five options. Option 2, which this post suggests, is "If you are interested in becoming an EE customer." I can't remember what the following Option 4 is, but it's for something pretty obscure.

Option 5 is "If you are not an EE customer and need your phone unlocked, press 5."

I pressed 5.

The robot voice just told me to go back to the page that gives the Sorry, something went wrong our end error message.

James_B
EE Community Support Team

Hi @Sneed1,

Welcome to the EE Community. 🙂

Sorry, the conversation you're replying to is several years old and the information was correct at the time it was posted.

What type of device are you trying to unlock and when was it purchased?

Thanks

James

@Sneed1 : It was then, 1.5 years ago, but is not now! So don't call me a liar when you are not contemporary with me making the statement.

You can just apply for unlocking by using the Unlocking your device form and giving its IMEI no., which you can obtain be dialling *#06# into its keypad.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)
Jessica1966
Visitor

I have been having the same problem though with a Huawei Media Pad. There is no customer service number that deals with Media Pad’s so I’m unsure what to do. Could you let me know of the number I should call to get the device unlocked. 
many thanks,

Katie_B
EE Community Support Team

Hi @Jessica1966

Was the device purchased direct with EE?

Katie

TheCorm
Investigator
Investigator

Might be of use to anyone searching for this answer.

I was getting this message over and over in the current (as at June 2023) version of Google Chrome.

I used edge instead and it worked fine.