Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: EE won't unlock phone

jjmorrison
Investigator
Investigator

Hi.

I am having problems unlocking my mobile wifi device since leaving EE with account closed at 0. I found your webpage https://myaccount.ee.co.uk/app/device-unlock and infuriatingly although it recognises the device after entering IMEI number it then asks for details of another device and never allows to proceed. I'm fed up trying to call and wait forever so can you please email to tell me how to do so.

Best regards.

John

11 REPLIES 11
XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

@jjmorrison : Did you upgrade the device you are trying to unlock? Perhaps that's the IMEI of the other device it is asking about.

No one will email you from this user discussion forum other than thro' the medium of these forum by posts such as this. Anyway we haven't the faintest idea who you are.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

Thanks for reply. I was with EE for some time (71 months) according to credit report) so had some upgrades during that, perhaps 2 however only two outstanding items over past 2 years. Phone contract ran out around 2 weeks before MiFi and was successfully unlocked then EE went a bit (I'm being generous here) daft. They tried every avenue to stop me leaving contract which was running out, ignored requests to do so, pushed for continuation despite the fact that after moving house the MiFi signal was useless hence ideal time to leave. They tried to charge me for unlocking MiFi device so I just stuck to guns - am leaving as your device is useless, have had to install landline as your signal here is too unreliable etc but was all very silly. I believe I paid an extra month for something I couldn't use as they stipulated I had to give a months warning to leave contract despite it naturally lapsing. It was only £11 so OK I just hoped at end I might be able to use the device I paid for with someone else in future. So no I don't have anything outstanding over upgrades, all should have been done and dusted in November last year but EE remain **bleep**y over allowing me to unlock the last remaining device despite allowing them to extend contract for another month when it was useless. I have found my account seems to be accessible now - not for a wile but no use other than directing to this forum.

I was asking you whether you had upgraded the mobile router in question, not whether you had anything outstanding on it nor anything about any mobile phones. I still don't know from your reply.

@jjmorrison wrote:

I believe I paid an extra month for something I couldn't use as they stipulated I had to give a months warning to leave contract despite it naturally lapsing.

These mobile contracts don't just naturally lapse, just the min. term expires. They are not fixed term contracts. After the min. term they just carry on at the same price on a rolling 30-days' notice basis until you explicitly cancel or upgrade.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

Apologies if I was unclear. I stated two items over two years so I implied they remained stable for the 48 month duration of their contract. The MiFi device did have problems and was replaced eventually after a long running dispute during contract with the defective device returned at the same time. Do you think EE may be asking me for the IMEI number of a device returned to them over a year ago? Tricky! Particularly as I returned everything to them in original packing in the same order as received.

Despite doing everything I could to be clear over my intentions to leave EE at end of contracts – yes I’m surprised they were taken as plural as under one account and they accepted me leaving my phone contract, they then took exception to me leaving my MiFi contract two weeks later which I had hoped would have been tied to this. Unfortunately most of these communications were run through 150 so I can only assure all that beyond being really upset over the useless MiFi signal and poorer phone signal at my new address I had firmly reported these matters to them as reason for leaving,  I was gobsmacked when later told I had apparently missed the opportunity to cancel my useless MiFi device on calling them to ask if I could unlock it then back in November. I was told I would have to pay £8.50 to do so on top of the additional £11 to continue the ‘contract’ for a further month. If I let the time ride then I would not be charged for unlocking.

Then now when I find on credit report and re-investigate to find my account has indeed been closed with balance 0 I still find ridiculous hurdles to unlock the device.

As at start I hope EE will email me (I’m receiving messages to my email account from here) and simply accept the IMEI number that their system understands on its own and allow me to use the device I have purchased from them.

Despite doing everything I could to be clear over my intentions to leave EE at end of contracts – yes I’m surprised they were taken as plural as under one account and they accepted me leaving my phone contract, they then took exception to me leaving my MiFi contract two weeks later which I had hoped would have been tied to this. Unfortunately most of these communications were run through 150 so I can only assure all that beyond being really upset over the useless MiFi signal and poorer phone signal at my new address I had firmly reported these matters to them as reason for leaving,  I was gobsmacked when later told I had apparently missed the opportunity to cancel my useless MiFi device on calling them to ask if I could unlock it then back in November. I was told I would have to pay £8.50 to do so on top of the additional £11 to continue the ‘contract’ for a further month. If I let the time ride then I would not be charged for unlocking.

Then now when I find on credit report and re-investigate to find my account has indeed been closed with balance 0 I still find ridiculous hurdles to unlock the device.

As at start I hope EE will email me (I’m receiving messages to my email account from here) and simply accept the IMEI number that their system understands on its own and allow me to use the device I have purchased from them.

Katie_B
EE Community Support Team

Hello @jjmorrison

Thanks for coming to the community and bringing this to our attention. 

The last time you contacted our customer care team what was advised?

Has our customer care team contacted our unlocking team?

Speak soon, 

Katie.

I have made very clear the actions of EE’s customer care team in messages above. I have also tried to resolve through EE’s Facebook presence but as soon as put onto messenger they automatically state no knowledge, return to customer care. Well I’m more than fed up so with the above information please contact me by email.  I’ll supply the IMEI number of the device I have purchased from EE which beyond having extended contract when it was useless, I’m still unable to unlock as EE’s online service for doing so demands details of a further device which I do not possess.

I've already told you that nobody will from here.

Well I have my mailbox cluttered by this so EE have every opportunity if they want to rather than leaving dirty laundry out.