cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Playing music in the car

enortom
Explorer

I got a new pixel phone which has one USB C port for charging, and media output. I also have an old car which has an aux cord instead of Bluetooth.

When I try to play music using a "jack to USB C cord", the song will start to play, before my phone pauses the song. I think my phone is trying to charge my car through the jack cord, and when it switches to doing that from media output, it pauses the song. 

I then decided to buy an induction charger, thinking that if my phone is being actively charged it would stop trying to charge my car, but this also does not work.

I tried a few wires, all with no success, so I don't think it's just a faulty one.

Is there some setting somewhere I cant find to turn off my phones ability to charge things using its own power, or some other method I can use to try and listen to a whole one without it being paused?

3 REPLIES 3
Katie_B
EE Community Support Team

Hello @enortom

Welcome to the community. 

I don't believe there is an option to stop your phones ability to charge. 

Do other devices work OK using the AUX cord?

Katie

Hi Katie,

Headphones work fine with it.

Initially I used a small converter for my old wired headphones which had the same issue with my phone pausing the music. Then when I bought USB C wired headphones the problem stopped.

I was using the same converter for my cars aux, and bought a replacement jack-USB C cord in hopes that would fix it, but it didn't.

It's not the phone charging from the car that's causing it to pause. It's my phone trying to charge the car- very odd.

Thanks for you help

Katie_B
EE Community Support Team

Thanks for confirming @enortom

I am also unsure as to what could be causing this. 

Hopefully someone here on the community is able to reach out with more advice. 

Katie