cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to disable 5G if you don't have the network choice option

tphxplays
Contributor
Contributor

If you, like me, have been hit after upgrading your phone to a model new enough such as a pixel 6, Oppo find X5, galaxy s21 and above etc, disabling 5G and using 4G only might not be in your settings at all. This is done from EEs side and none of their technical "experts" whether level 1, 2 or management above them can help you here.

Download the app called "Band Selector" from the Google Playstore and select "LTE Only" or any of the choices like GSM/WCDMA/LTE;

This will force your phone to use 4G/4G+ , if needed just switch back to a NR(5G) option whenever you want.(or remove the app and restart the device)

I've tested and can confirm this works for these phones; (including some that does not support the dialler option to disable it from the phones software)

pixel 7, 6 and 6A

Galaxy S21 ultra, S22, S23 ultra

Oppo Find X5, Find X6, Reno series

Xiaomi Redmi series 11 and 12

Edit; If you can't reset the connection after or have any difficulties, simply reset network settings and you're back to normal !

Hope this helps others.

2 REPLIES 2
Northerner
Grand Master
Grand Master

Hi @tphxplays 

You can just buy an unbranded device. My device from Samsung direct allows me to change the band. 

Thanks 

To contact EE Customer Services dial 150 From your EE mobile or 0800 956 6000 from any other phone. You can call Freephone +44 800 079 8586 on Skype

EE standard opening hours are 8am to 10.30pm every day.

Hello buddy!

Unfortunately not all do (I have an unbranded Oppo device ie. Which still removes the option when an EE SIM is inserted)

But this post should also help anyone who buys their phone through EE (hence why I posted it here) and also mentioned "if you have upgraded" to broaden the choices 🙂 

Thanks for adding help to the post though! I'm sure it will assist others who will buy a galaxy ie. 🙂