cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Planned BBC iPlayer outages on EE TV

NickBS
EE Community Manager
EE Community Manager

BBC are making a change to upgrade their metadata feed which, in long term will drive improvements to the user experience when watching content via BBC iPlayer. This change does not impact recordings. The improvements we’ll see from this change:

• UHD content will include the "UHD" attribute on supported devices
  • Reduces content disparity/duplication and improves linking to the TV Guide (EPG)
  • Improves series ordering

Changes begin from the 7th Feb and complete on the 21st Feb and impact all EE TV customers. See below for schedule and impact.

When?

Who is impacted?

What’s the experience?

7th February

Ex BT TV boxes
H3 YouView+
EE TV Recordable Box 
Z4 TV Box
EE TV 4K Recordable Box
EE TV Box Pro

New EE TV boxes
EE TV Box Pro
IP EE TV Box Mini

For 5-10 minutes, between 10:00-11:00am – Customers will not be able access the BBC iPlayer App. This means that they won’t be able to access the App directly, as well as watch via a tile that leads to BBC iPlayer (via Search, Watchlist etc). Customers will be presented with a YVM105 error.

As the change is impacting the ability to launch the app, Customers who are already in the App and watching content will not impacted.  

7th February

EE TV on Apple TV

For 5-10 minutes, between 10:00-11:00am – Customers will not be able to access content via a tile that leads to BBC iPlayer (via Search, Watchlist etc). Customers will be presented with a YVM105 error.

Customers will however be able to access the BBC iPlayer App (unlike the other boxes)

Between 7th Feb - 21st Feb

Ex BT TV boxes
EE TV Recordable Box 
Z4 TV Box
EE TV 4K Recordable Box
EE TV Box Pro

New EE TV boxes
EE TV Box Pro
IP EE TV Box Mini

Customers may see duplicate tiles for BBC content that leads to the iPlayer in their Watch List.
Both tiles will still launch allowing the Customer to watch the content, but they’ll see a duplicate.
The duplicate will then disappear after the 21st  without any Customer intervention.
Advice to customers is not to delete the duplicate in case they delete the new link 

4 REPLIES 4
XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

Won't this affect anybody with a smart TV?

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)
NickBS
EE Community Manager
EE Community Manager

@XRaySpeX  see below from our TV product team...

So this is only impacting the App on the EE TV boxes, not via Smart TVs – as the change is updating our metadata stream on the boxes. 

👍

Ah, OK.

I dunno about others, but I found your list TMI. Are these all diff products or features within the same product? E.g. Are G5 EE TV & G4 EE TV diff products?

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)
NickBS
EE Community Manager
EE Community Manager

They are older boxes that were BT TV boxes before the switchover to EE TV. I'll update the table to make that clear.