cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EE TV Apple TV App Questions

jonathanteague
Visitor

Hi,

My Sky contract is coming up for renewal along with broadband.  I am very interested in EE TV Apple TV app as this looks like the only real solution to watch live channels on Apple TV in good quality.  Please could someone answer the following questions to help me make up my mind if I should switch?

1. I have Apple TV's already.  What is the difference between using my app or using an EE TV branded Apple TV?

2. What is the stream quality on BBC, ITV, Channel 4 etc?  Are they all 1080p HD? (Wondering if anyone has checked this via the developer HUD)

3. Is there any ability to watch recordings made on the pro box via the EE TV Apple TV app?  If not is that something that might come in the near future?

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
DarrenDev
EE Employee

#1 the app on your existing device will only allow you to view the TNT Sports and discovery channel. All the other channels are restricted to only being watchable on the device supplied as part of the contract.

#2 the channels are streamed in up to 1080p - depending on line conditions.

#3 recordings can only be watched on the box that they were originally made. This won't ever change.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
DarrenDev
EE Employee

#1 the app on your existing device will only allow you to view the TNT Sports and discovery channel. All the other channels are restricted to only being watchable on the device supplied as part of the contract.

#2 the channels are streamed in up to 1080p - depending on line conditions.

#3 recordings can only be watched on the box that they were originally made. This won't ever change.

Jasont1979
Investigator
Investigator

I had the same thing I have gone for the Apple TV because that was the selling point for me plus saving £60 a month mine goes live Wednesday so I can update you then to see if it was worth it 

Matomo
Visitor

#2 The channels are streamed via multicast. So it doesn’t work in the same way as a Netflix stream, for example. Think of it more like a broadcast stream like a Freeview or Sky signal. 

Your BT or EE router knows to prioritise the multicast stream, and if line conditions are poor you’ll see pixelation in the same way as if your satellite or aerial signal are poor. 

@Matomo Apple TV boxes don't use multicast - that's only for the TV Box Pro and TV Box Mini.  Apple TV works the same as Netflix, and all the other apps.

Hi, I received my Apple TV box last week. Initial observations.

Nowtv channels have a white square in the corner which sits there permanently. Can this be removed as I have concerns of burn in on my OLED, this isn’t present on the mini box.

cant restart shows from beginning, you can do this on sky stream, and on the EE you view box but not on Apple TV, will this functionality be added? It’s quite inconvenient having to go into the individual catch up app to do this. 

cannot pause live content, will this be added?

the service has great potential but feels like I have gone back in time 5 years. Really hope some of these features can be added.

thanks 

I have just set up eetv today and yes only on the new apple box provided can i watch freeview and discovery+ channels. On my existing apple box the eetv app will only show discovery+ channels. Why are the freeview channels unavailable on my old apple box? 
cheers. 

@Davesmurf unfortunately this is a requirement from our content providers - they'll only allow their channels to be watched on a device loaned as part of a subscription.

O.k that makes sense and seems fair enough. However here’s another issue upon initial set-up, the new smart hub router keeps resetting itself every 5-10 minutes which is very frustrating whilst streaming/gaming etc. logged a fault with the help desk that says it’s a line fault with the new fibre line that only went in yesterday.  However, my old ee router (white one for the old copper cable) works fine on the new fibre line. It won’t though let me watch eetv and shows error code AU910 on the eetv app.  Does it matter on what ee router is being used for eetv streaming? 

DarrenDev
EE Employee

@Davesmurf I can confirm that your broadband stats were atrocious yesterday, but I don't know why - I'll leave that to the engineers. I also don't know why the old EE router would work better than the new one, but if it works for you then by all means keep it until someone tells you otherwise.  It will make fault diagnostics a bit harder though, so the engineer may ask you to switch back.

Having the EE router connected also prevents me from seeing why your EE TV Box Minis aren't working.

For the EE TV app, you now need to log in with your EE ID instead of your BT ID - select the "EE Broadband" option when logging in.  In your case, it's the same email address but may have a different password.