cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade scam

markr2
Visitor

All. Heads up on current scam.  Got call from 07888 862150 offering great upgrade, a too good to be true one of unlimited everything for £6 🙂  Anyhow they did not ask for bank details just name and number (easily found online).  They then said they would call back later to activate account. Strange already.  When they called back they said they would send me a OTP to verify me but that it would be in a different call!  Anyhow hung up and got call with automated voice giving me the OTP.  They then phoned back immediately asked for the OTP.  I then told them I was not going ahead as EE did not recognise the offer - they hund up before I finished my sentence.  Obviously they trying to alter or register something in my name and needing the OTP sent to my phone to verify it really me.  So be warned.  And remember never give out a OTP to anyone else!  I am also reporting the number.

4 REPLIES 4
Christopher_G
EE Community Support Team

Welcome to the community, @markr2 

I'm sorry to hear that, thank you for sharing this with us and for reporting the number. Hopefully it helps stop this from happening to someone else.

Chris

MsB83
Visitor

I have literally just had the same thing. Wanted me to confirm how much my monthly bill is (I have a fake number and she said yes that’s what I have here!), told me they could lower all my ee payments to £10 a month in a special offer

Pants0nFir3
Visitor

Hardly spoke English stood out a mile it was scam.

cos no one rings but my wife and kids and only then when they need something doing 

ClarieM13
Investigator
Investigator

Just happened to ME - I hung up & said I did not wish to give my name and address (in my case they didn't ask for my bank details etc.)  I hung up & this same woman tried calling me about 5 times - had said 'passing me on to someone else to deal with it'!   IMMEDIATELY JUST BLOCKED THIS PERSON JUST AS TRYING AGAIN!    Can often tell scammers from their downright 'pushy' attitude, after initial so-called polite call!   GONE!   I am going to inform EE about this!