cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SIM to eSIM conversion

floppydisk333
Visitor

Hi, would there be possibility to convert existing physical SIM that I have into eSIM ?

Based on the guide that I can see, this only possible if you're moving into iPhone 13 upon inserting physical sim.

Why can't there be option to ask for SIM to eSIM conversion in EE website or as separate request to sim replacement if conversion not allowed.

10 REPLIES 10
Kirigaya_Kazuto
Star Contributor
Star Contributor

Yes, you can convert it - if you login to your MyEE account, or use the mobile app, go into Settings -> Device and SIM -> "Replace my SIM" and do the eSIM instant download

Any eSIM capable phone will be able to have this

dmitriyzahar
Visitor

Sorry, but I can't see any option about eSIM here. Could you clarify this, please?photo_5395751136494997545_y.jpgphoto_5395751136494997546_y.jpg

@dmitriyzahar you can only use a eSim if you a contract customer.    If you are then open the my EE app click the person icon too right then click settings and permissions then scroll down to activate Sim/eSim and follow the on screen instructions.    If you are only going to use the eSim just because you can don’t bother.  It’s so much easier to move a SIM card to a different device if needs be especially if your device breaks and you can not access the device. 

1. How long does it take for it to convert from a physical sim to an e sim?

2. Once its converted do you just take out the physical sim?

@alb96   It should take a few minutes if that. And yes you take the sim out as it’s no longer working so you bin it.    Before you do this is there a reason why you want to change to a eSIM ?  If it’s just because you can don’t bother you don’t gain anything. 

ianrobbs
Visitor

@Chris_B  I have a question, I am looking at getting a new phone that is esim and has 1 physical slot.  Was thinking if I convert my current sim card to esim, can I use the physical sim slot for another sim card if I am going abroad?  Or does it work differently to using a dual sim card?

@ianrobbs  Yes you can do that.     An eSIM is just a on device digital SIM card.  Having this just means you don’t have to install 2 physical SIM cards in one device.   The device will pick up 2 carrier signals and these will both show on the device.    

needed to do as going to be travelling abroad and switching SIM cards a lot. It worked perfectly the way you suggested and only took a few mins

I had issues downloading my e-sim from the EE app. After contacting customer support they said if I go in store I will receive an E-sim straight away.