cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connecting an eSim profile to a Laptop & Mobile Phone? Possible idea suggestion.

000A
Contributor
Contributor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCnihXi4FAw

Just watched the video and it shows only one device is allowed to connect to one eSim profile. 

I want to know if there is any way to connect my laptop to the internet (eSim) while also having my mobile phone connected to that same eSim profile. 

I don't want calls/texts on my Laptop. I just want the internet. To avoid multiple users using the same internet plan, if I could disconnect my phone (via a toggle) from the internet, then that would allow me to use the internet on my Laptop. If I reconnect my phone to the internet, then the internet would no longer work on my Laptop. 

Not sure where the correct place to ask about eSim in general is. Hence asking on here. This is a possible idea suggestion.

I think this would be useful because then I wouldn't need to tether (hotspot) my phone to my laptop anymore. This saves battery life. Also, if I just wanted to bring my laptop somewhere and not my phone, I could do this.

Note: Both phone and laptop would need to be eSim compatible

4 REPLIES 4
Chris_B
Grand Master
Grand Master

@000A  Not possible as the eSim is just an electronic SIM card it can not be shared with more than one device. This service you require is possible and it’s called hotspot and that all your going to get.  You can not move eSim information between devices just like that it could take up to a few hours to move information across and what happens when something goes wrong ? Who’s fault will it be the user or the network because everyone will blame the network. 

If you require such a feature where you can have 2 devices but only use one at a time and it’s not using hotspot just use a physical SIM card that you can move between devices.  

bristolian
Legend
Legend

@000A wrote:

I want to know if there is any way to connect my laptop to the internet (eSim) while also having my mobile phone connected to that same eSim profile. 

I was drafting this reply before @Chris_B beat me to it, but you can use your phone's hotspot solution to create a local WiFi hotspot.

Connect your laptop to the hotspot and use mobile data that way.

"I think this would be useful because then I wouldn't need to tether (hotspot) my phone to my laptop anymore. This saves battery life. Also, if I just wanted to bring my laptop somewhere and not my phone, I could do this."

"
but you can use your phone's hotspot solution to create a local WiFi hotspot.

Connect your laptop to the hotspot and use mobile data that way."

@bristolian 

I've already mentioned that in my original post.

@Chris_B 

"If you require such a feature where you can have 2 devices but only use one at a time and it’s not using hotspot just use a physical SIM card that you can move between devices. "

But that's not a very convenient solution. 

Edit: Can you even make & receive phone calls (and texts) on a laptop, if you insert a physical sim card into it?

Note: Few laptops currently allow you to insert a sim card directly into it. So most people probably (at the moment) use a dongle (that has a physical sim inserted into it). I know you can send & receive texts via dongle, but I've not seen a feature to make and receive phone calls with a dongle.

000A
Contributor
Contributor

"To avoid multiple users using the same internet plan, if I could disconnect my phone (via a toggle) from the internet, then that would allow me to use the internet on my Laptop. If I reconnect my phone to the internet, then the internet would no longer work on my Laptop."

Actually, it would be better if I could just register two (different?) devices to one (e)Sim account. Hence, have two devices connected to one internet plan simultaneously (Example: Laptop & Phone would both have internet running). I wouldn't mind paying a little extra to have this feature.

My Laptop doesn't support the current eSim feature (probably missing the internal hardware spec for this). Maybe EE can build a USB device (like a dongle?) that can do this?   

Side note:

I didn't realise at the time that Windows10 has a 'Phone Link' application. That can be useful for seeing texts on a Laptop. However, I think the phone has to be close by for it to work (Bluetooth connection). If the two devices shared the same (e)sim account, then maybe Bluetooth wouldn't be required, just the same internet data/plan.