cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is pay as you go and flex hibernation, and how do I stop it?

Jon_K
Former EE Employee

If you have an EE pay as you go or flex number you haven't used for a while it may go into hibernation. Here’s how to ensure you don’t lose your number.

When would my phone number go into hibernation?

If you’ve had no chargeable activity on your account for 60 days, we’ll send you a text to make sure you’re still using the SIM card and you’d like to keep the account active.

If you haven’t used your phone for any chargeable activity for 179 days, your account will go into hibernation and any credit will be removed. But don’t worry; at this point it’s not too late to reinstate it – just get in touch with our Customer Care team.

My number has been placed in hibernation; how can I stop this?  

When your number is in hibernation, it is still possible to get it back until you’ve reached 269 days of no chargeable activity.

After 269 days of inactivity we’ll send you a text to let you know the number will be disconnected within 24 hours.

After 273 days the number will be recycled and lost.

What is a chargeable activity?

• Voice and data usage. This includes making calls, sending text messages and picture messages, retrieving a voicemail, and using data that is not within your pack or add-on.
  • Topping up your account.
  • Buying a pack or an add-on.

Calls, texts and data usage made using your allowance from your pack do not count towards a chargeable activity. 

Any of the chargeable activities can be made in the UK and abroad to keep the account active.

If you have any questions, just tap “Reply” below.

7 REPLIES 7
Boilerman2018
Explorer

Hi im trying to find out if EE are trying to discourage or even stop PAYG without a 'Pack'.

can you get e new sim from ee and NOT have to buy a monthly Pack.

I want to use it mainly for incoming calls , so am prepared to put some credit but not use it for outgoing calls.

But everything on their site only says buy a monthly pack.

Any assistance gratefully received.

Thanks 

Pete

Jon_K
Former EE Employee

Hi @Boilerman2018.

Usually on the website if you buy a pay as you go SIM card it would come with a pre-loaded pack.

You can stop the pack at any time and switch to just using the credit.

If you don't want a pre-loaded pack, you could go to an EE Store to pick up a SIM card.

Jon

@Boilerman2018 : All EE PAYG SIMs come primed with a recurring Pack of allowances ready to bought out of your PAYG credit as soon as it is sufficient.

Text STOP PACK to 150 before you 1st top-up & you can use the SIM for calls & texts but not data as normal PAYG at standard per-unit rates paid for out of your standing PAYG credit balance.

To save the SIM going into hibernation due to lack of use, just remember within every 179 days (~ 6 months) to make a chargeable action like making a chargeable call or text, topping up or buying a Pack or Add-on, not just using your mins, texts or data from any Pack or Add-on you might have.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)
RoJo24
Visitor

Hello!
How can I use my EE-Sim Pay as you go when I am abroad. Currently I can not send or send messages - speak set a chargeable activity.
What can I do? What do I need to do this?

Thanks

Christopher_G
EE Community Support Team

Welcome to the community, @RoJo24.

How long have you been abroad for? Did you use it in the UK to make a phone call or send a text message before travelling abroad?

Chris

funnyboney
Visitor

Hi, I am abroad for some time but would like to keep my PAYG number. Is  it sufficient for me to top up 5 pounds every month, without buying a pack? Thanks.

Katie_B
EE Community Support Team

Hi @funnyboney

Topping up will keep your SIM active. 

Katie 🙂