cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tried to top up and ended up on a contract!

Sarah12321
Contributor
Contributor

Tried to top up my PAYG credit but for some reason the app couldn't do it, said my account may have been compromised and asked me to change my password. As I still couldn't top up I phoned 150 as that was the alternative method mentioned in the text reminder. I assumed it would be a recorded message asking for card details etc but to my surprise I found a real person on the other end. I said I wanted to top up and she told me that I could have a 30% discount as I wasn't using all my allowance. This sounded fine so I agreed and she topped up my phone.

The next thing I knew I received an email mentioning a 12 month contract. Where did that come from? I tried logging into my EE account to check but it didn't recognise the new password. After a couple more attempts it locked my account. I then phoned 150 again and spoke to someone else who explained that I had been put onto a contract. He helped me get into the account again and asked if I could see details of my plan, payments, etc but there was no information there. I was told to give it time and try again tomorrow when the system would hopefully have updated itself.

Now that I've had time to process all this I realise I don't even know what I'll get each month for my money. I assumed I was still on PAYG with the same allowances but this may have changed and I can't find out the details as there's nothing on my account yet. I feel I've been sold something unawares and don't even know what I've signed up for.  I've been given a link to ask for a call back tomorrow if I still have problems. I'm hoping there is a cooling off period so that I can get out of this. Does anyone know?

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Chris_B
Grand Master
Grand Master

@Sarah12321  There is a 14 day cooling of period for phone sales.   If you don’t want a contract just call customer services and tell them you don’t want it and want to go back to PAYG. 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Chris_B
Grand Master
Grand Master

@Sarah12321  There is a 14 day cooling of period for phone sales.   If you don’t want a contract just call customer services and tell them you don’t want it and want to go back to PAYG. 

XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

You have been conned!

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

Thanks. That's a relief.

Well, I certainly wasn't aware that I was entering a contract. Not at all clear.