cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: What is pay as you go and flex hibernation, and how do I stop it?

HelgaSmallwood
Investigator
Investigator

Hello!

I am trying to find out if my number has been recycled. I started with that number on Orange in 1998 and kept it when it changed to EE, so I am a long-time and loyal customer!

I moved to Canada in Sept 2020 and changed from contract to pay as you go as I would still need the number for trips back to the UK, which I might finally be able to do this summer after a long time in limbo waiting. I just noticed my phone reading "NO SIM" and tried to go online to check on things but it says I have no phone number!

I tried calling customer services but can't get through as you have to input a phone number and apparently I don't have one!

Can anyone help?

7 REPLIES 7
bristolian
Legend
Legend

Hi @HelgaSmallwood 

Firstly, by means of internet advice, posting a mobile number (even one that may now belong to someone else) is a fast way to attract spammers - if the site admins don't edit this out, I'd suggest you do.

From my understanding of your post, your number hasn't been used for chargeable calls since September 2020. If that's the case, then you're well beyond the 9month period for retaining your number and it may well have been recycled to another user since.

Only EE C/S could tell you for sure, and there's no account access on this forum. If the IVR tells you that you don't have a number when you're (presumably) entering this one, then I think you probably have your answer!!

XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

@HelgaSmallwood : After such a long period you have lost it completely.

EE PAYG SIMs are deactivated after 6 months of non-use. You then have a further 3 months to call EE to reactivate it before it is lost completely.

You needed to make a chargeable action like making a chargeable call or text, topping up or buying a Pack or Add-on, not just using your mins, texts or data from your pack.

As it was you couldn't even use it in Canada in Sept. 2020 as you switched to PAYG while abroad. EE PAYG SIMs need 1st activating on EE's home UK network. 

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

I have edited my message and removed the mobile number. I don't know what I was thinking. I guess I am just a little fraught trying to sort things out and it's been impossible to get to talk to someone at EE either on the phone or online chat as you have to give an EE number to even get started and apparently I don't now have one! I feel caught in a catch-22 situation.

I did not know about the time limits for keeping things active. They did not explain this to me when I switched from contract to pay as you go and I did not receive any warning texts. There are reasons for so much time passing with inactivity but I won't go into them here and anyway, it sounds like it doesn't matter what the reasons are.

I have tried calling my number and it just starts playing the start of the Orange (yes I have had my number that long!) answerphone greeting and then cuts off, so it doesn't look like it has been reassigned, but without talking to customer services I can't find out.

Do you know if there is any way to talk to EE customer services if you don't have an EE phone number to provide?

Try calling CS on +44 800 956 6000 (option 2 > option 4) . That won't ask for an EE mobile no.

@HelgaSmallwood wrote:

I did not receive any warning texts.

You wouldn't as that newly created  PAYG no. was not activated in the UK.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

Thanks. I will try that.

Thanks! You're welcome 🙂 ! Glad I could be of assistance & it is now sorted.

@HelgaSmallwood BTW you dont get warning texts even if you are in the UK and activtated there.