cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems with poorly-designed anonymous top-up

winelight
Visitor

These are my experiences using anonymous top-up.
1. First I need to input the number (of course), so I copy and paste this from my contacts. This doesn't work, because you only accept the UK format with a leading 0, and the number in my contacts is in international format (+44).
2. I can't edit the number to change the +44 to zero because your field is restricted in length and has truncated the last few digits.
3. So I copy and past the number into a text editor and replace the +44 with a zero, and then copy and paste this into the field.
4. This still doesn't work because your input field validation has again truncated the number because it can't cope with the standard telephone number format of a space between the dialling code and number.
5. Let's move on to payment. EE does not accept any third-party payment such as Google Pay, PayPal, etc., and nor does it allow you to create an account to remember your credit card details. Given that you are likely to be having to top up someone's phone in an urgent situation, you could well be somewhere where you either don't have a physical credit card with you, or it's inconvenient or unsafe to get it out and start typing the number in.
6. OK let's suppose you're not standing on a rush-hour tube train trying to top-up the phone of your granny who's been rushed into hospital, but instead sitting at home in front of a PC with your credit card in front of you and have time to spare. Now it is likely that you have typed your postcode in before, and therefore you don't need to have to type the whole thing in again - autocomplete will do that for you. This doesn't work, and if you are very observant, and knowledgeable about poorly-written input field validation, you will spot that the reason your correct postcode is giving a 'postcode error' is because of a trailing space. Of course, if you do spot this, it's easy to fix.
So all in all a slow, tedious and painful process, which is rather unusual in this day and age when you are trying to give somebody your money. Most companies don't put obstacles in your way!

14 REPLIES 14
Jon_K
Former EE Employee

Thanks for your feedback on this, @winelight.

I'll be sure to pass this on to the relevant teams.

Jon

Profile closed
Not applicable

Problems with all methods of top up, not just anonymous. Have tried them all:

Same problem as above post as of the 26th Sept 2023. Can’t top up. How does one top up when the site refuses to allow that process to happen. I have been days trying and still can’t top up. How would any person with disability with a pay go phone manage if transferred land lines to digital voice by this standard. It’s a serious question? How would a person call Emergancy Service? I have brain injury myself

James_B
EE Community Support Team

Hi @Profile closed,

Welcome to the EE Community. 🙂

What happens when you try to top up?

Which top up method are you using?

With a digital home phone, you can call the emergency services in the same manner you would with a non-digital landline.

Please see Introducing Digital Home Phone | Home Phone Help | EE for more information.

James

Profile closed
Not applicable

All methods, not just anonymous.

It tells me i haven’t done capacha, whilst I have done so too many times to count

it tells me my number can’t be topped up. I have done so previously this year

James_B

Hi @Profile closed,

Are you trying to top up at My EE - Make Anonymous Payment?

Please could you try a different web browser and let me know if you see the same issue with the CAPTCHA?

What is the full error message you see when it tells you your number can't be topped up?

James

Profile closed
Not applicable

Not only anonymously. I have tried all of your other web top up methods and it’s all the same issue

it states in red: need to complete captcha 

It states in red: can’t tap up this number

i don’t have infinite resources to try other browsers. I have no computer

James_B

Hi @Profile closed,

Are you able to try a different web browser on your mobile device, or try clearing the cookies and cache of the one you're using?

James

Profile closed
Not applicable

I’m totally struggling. A top up should not be so difficult. Other people would struggle the same, especially with disabilities. This shouldn’t be happening. If digital services are forcing people to have no choice in using top up via web, there surely has to be due consideration to accessibility  

James_B

Hi @Profile closed,

I understand your frustration. If you'd rather use a different top up method, please see How to Top-up a Pay As You Go Phone | Mobile Help | EE.

Hope this helps.

James