cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to avoid pay as you go sim number from being deactivated

AC_ca
Explorer

I have a pay as you go sim, and is now travelling abroad (in North America) for more than 6 months. Like to know if I make a manual top up to my account once every 6 months be enough to be considered as active to avoid the number being deactivated after 6 months?  Or do I have to make any other chargeable activity (such as making a roaming call or text) to maintain the number? Thanks

19 REPLIES 19
XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

Yes, it needs to be within 179 days of the previous.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

Can you confirm in detail - If I top up on say 1st July and buy a £10 pack, and use that throughout July to make calls and texts, does that 179 days start from when I topped up (1st July), or when I last made a call/text (eg on 29th July)

I found the information below but I'm unsure how to read it - I get that to count as a "chargeable activity" any data use must be not from a pack - but does that condition also apply to calls, texts, and picture messages?

• What is a chargeable activity?

• Voice and data usage. This includes making calls, sending text messages and picture messages, retrieving a voicemail, and using data that is not within your pack or add-on.
    • Topping up your account.
    • Buying a pack or an add-on.

Finally is there any way to check when your number is about to go into hibernation?  Over the last 6 months I got two text messages warning me to make a call, send a text or use data etc but they seemed to be at random times - can anyone tell me that message 1 is sent, say, 70 days after non-use and message 2 is sent after 100 days (so I can count 79 days from message 2 to work out when my number is about to go into hibernation?)  Also, would be handy if you got a message the day before so you could do something about it - does that happen?

bristolian
Legend
Legend

Using any allowance from within a pack or add-on is not classed as chargeable. Purchase of the pack, is.

It counts from when you bought the £10 pack, which by its very nature must post-date topping-up. The calls & texts made during July don't count as they come from your pack.

You should get a warning text 60 days after your last chargeable action.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)
sam1915
Investigator
Investigator

Great thanks.

And also, just to be clear - I'd know if my number had gone into hibernation as I would see "No service" or similar and would therefore be unable to receive texts or calls - as I would no longer be connected to EE?  And also I wouldn't be able to login online and top up, or receive a message from EE to say my top up was successful?

bristolian
Legend
Legend

Another symptom of hibernation is that the phone has coverage and appears normal - but is unable to make or receive calls, save for outgoing calls being redirected to 150.

You should still be able to login online. It's the SIM that's gone into hibernation, not your a/c.

Hmm sorry that just confused me a bit.  When I was on O2 if I forgot to top up my number would simply be disconnected after 6 months - it was really obvious, I'd have no service, and would be unable to top up as my number was deactivated (and would have to spend hours on the phone trying to get them to reconnect me)

On EE at the moment I have service, can receive calls and texts, and have just successfully topped up.  Therefore am I right to conclude I've not gone into hibernation and have another 179 days before I need to top up again (by which time I should be back in the UK)! 

I was working on the assumption that hibernation on EE is the same as O2 but maybe it's not....!

@sam1915 : As you are receiving calls & texts at the mo' you can't have yet gone into hibernation. You will have 179 days from your last chargeable activity before you do. You haven't told us when that was. Calls from your pack don't count. It certainly wasn't last July as you previously stated  as you would be in hibernation by now. You must have topped recently for your present trip.

Where are you abroad?