cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why won't you give me my phone

Siobhan26
Investigator
Investigator

I upgraded my contract yesterday in store and went to collect today. 

Before leaving my house I checked what ID you would accept. On your website it says I need to bring one of the following: Passport, Drivers liscence or National ID card.

Off I popped to the store with my Irish passport card (it's a passport and a form of National ID) only to be told you can't accept it.

As its the only ID I have on me (I don't drive and my passport wasn't to hand) I was told I couldn't have my phone. I asked to cancel my contract, which I was told I couldn't do as despite speaking with a manager they weren't  "THE manager" and only "THE manager" can do that. I was tempted to go all the way home and dig out my Irish passport.

I decided to go onto your chat function where I was told you only accept GB ID - which as an Irish citizen I don't have. 

I'm just ridiculously confused, upset and concerned that you can only collect a phone in store if you have British ID. What about us EU citizens?

I spent an hour in the store on the phone to store customer services who were equally unhelpful and would only cancel my order if I paid a termination fee - for a phone I couldn't physically have.

Can you pleae clarify on your website that you only hand phones to GB citizens? Would have my decision to leave EE a lot easier if I knew you didn't want non British customers.

5 REPLIES 5
Chris_B
Grand Master
Grand Master

@Siobhan26  They can not charge you an early termination fee if you don’t have the goods that this applies too.   If they are refusing to give you the goods based on your forms of ID which EE do not clarify to begin with then they should be apologising for there error and should be sorting this out without a fee.     It’s not your fault and they shouldn’t be trying to charge you anything for their mistakes.       
 I wouldn’t be surprised if they try and bill you for this new tariff.   You need to speak with the store/customer service about that as they can not do this as you don’t have the product because of their so called ID policies.   

I also find this ridiculous as I know people who are not UK born taking out contracts. 

@Siobhan26  You might want to read THIS  thread and look for @Leanne_T  post on it,     This was from 15/4/22 so the policy might if changed.  I hope it helps.   

3rd from the last comment on it.

The store was absolutely useless. They said they couldn't do anything as my ID wasn't accepted. Even when I showed them the list of accepted ID it was a point blank.

According to the same advisor who sold me the contract yesterday they can't cancel unless the manager is there.

I spent an hour on the phone to customer service in store who kept saying the contract could only be cancelled in store.

Thankfully when I called when I got home the lovely lady said she would cancel it on her end (although she also said the line "if they accept Irish ID then they could accept ID from made up countries). Said I should get it delivered at home and would only need a pin for the delivery driver.

I've had a phone from EE before and never had an issue. My biggest issue is that the ee chat person said only GB ID is valid. If this is the case (and I have the screenshot) surely its discrimination due to my ethnicity and nationality- which is against UK law. 

I have an army of screenshots all outlining the conflicting information given to me today so I'm looking forward to someone from ee responding to my complaints (I have 3 running at the moment).

Wish me luck!

Christopher_G
EE Community Support Team

Hi @Siobhan26 

Welcome to the community.

I'm really sorry to hear that you've been given some conflicting information. I've looked into this and can see that the accepted proof of ID for this instance is either a UK/NI Driving Licence or a UK/International Passport.

If you have an open complaint, someone will be in contact with you to discuss this. Please keep us updated with what happens.

Chris

Still unhelpful as even your chat team last night said they would only
accept UK ID (eg not an international passport).