cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roam Abroad costs

Radiokate
Explorer

Okay, a year ago I bought whatever the Roam Abroad/Roam Further pass was, it cost me £10, and when I cancelled it, I think I only got charged for the proportion of the 30 days I'd used.

I'm about to go to the US and it seems that the pass now costs £25!! A 250% price hike. Owch.

Next up, I think my trip spans two billing months. I was hoping that my Roam Abroad pass would last 30 days from the moment I start it, but it doesn't seem that it would. If they charge me pro-rata the first month (the majority of my trip) is it right that they would still charge the full month rate for the second month? I'll only need two days. 

Previously this would have been 10 days pro-rata of £10

Now it looks like it will be 8 days pro-rata of £25, PLUS an entire £25 for the other two days I need. This seems ridiculous, because the add-on cost is £25 for 30 days, in theory.  Is this worst case scenario correct? Is there a way to change my billing date so I don't get screwed by this? 

It used to be an incredible offer, but now it would be cheaper just to buy a US SIM and forget my UK phone altogether! Is there a way to get round this? 

Thanks in advance.

3 REPLIES 3
XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

Yes, that's correct. That's how it works.

The Roam Abroad Pass costs £25 per billing month from the billing month you order it (text ROAMING PASS to 150) until the billing month you cancel it (text STOP ROAMING PASS to 150). For all billing months during which you have the Pass it is charged at the full £25. However if the Pass is carried over from the 1st billing month to the next it will be charged pro-rata for that 1st month alone.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

WOWSER. 

So despite the add-on being a 30 day add-on, in theory, if I use it for just 10 days, and it happens to cross a billing date, I'll be stung for £31.66?! 

That seems utterly unfair and very bad faith from EE. It's total potluck...

- If the 10 days fit conveniently within your billing cycle, you could pay £25 (I assume if you cancel that month they wouldn't pro-rata the first month, but if they did it could be just £7.5). 

- If the 10 days cross the billing period with say, one day the first month, pro-rata, and nine days the second, it would be £25.83 for the 10 days.

- If you're unlucky (like me) and you had 9 days in first month pro-rata, and a single day in the second month, you'd pay £32.50 for the very same thing.

How can that be fair/allowed? 

That's right, your maths is spot-on! You're right in the 1st case that EE wouldn't pro-rata the first month,

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)