cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wifi calling only works for a few minutes

SqueakyB
Investigator
Investigator

I was really pleased when EE enabled wifi calling (aka VoWiFi) for PAYG customers, but I have a frustrating issue with it on my Realme 6. It'll work properly on my phone for maybe 10 or 20 minutes, with the little wifi calling icon showing and all, but then it will stop working and the icon will disappear. This happens if I've enabled aeroplane mode and then switched on wifi, so it's not an issue with the VoLTE taking over.

When it is working and I'm on a call it seems to make it stop working faster, strangely enough. So after just a couple of minutes the call will drop and the icon will have disappeared.

I've tried power cycling and factory resetting the phone, and have also spoken to Realme support who are yet to get back to me.

Anyone else had anything like this? Any suggestions? It's frustrating that it does actually work, but is still basically useless! Thanks!

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Well wouldn't you know, last night my phone received a software update and wifi calling seems to be working properly now.

One of the first things my updated phone did upon reboot was to ask me if I wanted to grant location permission for "carrier location services". I have a hunch that this was the cause of my problem. If anyone is reading this with a similar issue I'd advise granting that permission.

It makes sense that when you're divorced from actual cell towers, the carrier would want to know where you are before allowing you to use their service.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Northerner
Grand Master
Grand Master

Hi @SqueakyB 

This service is a last resort service when you have no mobile signal.  

It sounds more device firmware related than the service as you have said it connects so the service works. It could also be your WiFi. 

Thanks

To contact EE Customer Services dial 150 From your EE mobile or 0800 956 6000 from any other phone. You can call Freephone +44 800 079 8586 on Skype

EE standard opening hours are 8am to 10.30pm every day.

"This service is a last resort service when you have no mobile signal."

Not really sure what you're getting at. If you don't have mobile signal then it's obviously not a last resort service, it's the only way you can make and receive calls.

It could indeed be my phone, let's hope Realme support get back to me. Can you elaborate on "it could also be your wifi"? Are there known issues? In terms of broadband service/speed and wifi signal strength my I'm fine.

Thanks for the reply!

chistery
Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

Can you try it on someone else's wifi and see if it's stable or not? It'll help narrow down the issue.

@SqueakyB wrote:

"This service is a last resort service when you have no mobile signal."

Not really sure what you're getting at. If you don't have mobile signal then it's obviously not a last resort service, it's the only way you can make and receive calls.

It could indeed be my phone, let's hope Realme support get back to me. Can you elaborate on "it could also be your wifi"? Are there known issues? In terms of broadband service/speed and wifi signal strength my I'm fine.

This means that the default is for all voice calls to use the 4G mobile network if possible, and only if there is no 4G coverage will WiFi-calling be used.

As already recommended, I would suggest trying your phone on another wireless/broadband network as a first test. That will identify whether the issue is being caused by the WiFi network, or your device's firmware.

WiFi-calling is a reliable service, but is only as good as the phone and the broadband/WiFi on which it's being used.

Well wouldn't you know, last night my phone received a software update and wifi calling seems to be working properly now.

One of the first things my updated phone did upon reboot was to ask me if I wanted to grant location permission for "carrier location services". I have a hunch that this was the cause of my problem. If anyone is reading this with a similar issue I'd advise granting that permission.

It makes sense that when you're divorced from actual cell towers, the carrier would want to know where you are before allowing you to use their service.

Leanne_T
EE Community Support Team

Thanks for sharing @SqueakyB

Glad to hear your WiFi calling is working 🙂

Have a lovely day. 

Leanne.