cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Weird roaming messaged

Peter274
Investigator
Investigator

I keep getting texts from EE telling me that I am roaming in Jersey when I am at Nolton Haven in West Wales. The linear distance between these places is 350 miles, so can anyone explain how this happens? Has anyone else had a similar experience?

12 REPLIES 12

@Plymouthbloke1 wrote:

your phone wouldn’t register if the distance between phone and mast was over approx 35km, due to time-coding on the radio signal?

You're thinking of TDD & FDD, and the timeout. If the OP received the "welcome to country" text, that's a strong indication that registration has happened.

@Plymouthbloke1 wrote:

where the OP is points to a freak anomaly on the EE network most likely…

The anomaly would be that an EE-radio-site is configured to identify as a foreign operator.

KeithP73
Visitor

Peter strangely for the first time I also today received that very same welcome to Jersey roaming message while on the beach at Mwnt, just north of Cardigan where I live. Almost immediately followed by welcome back to the UK. Must be a world record for travelling West wales to Jersey and back. 

bristolian
Legend
Legend

Pretty unique weather conditions that a Jersey network was stronger than an Irish or Manx one, I'm not sure what the roaming selection criteria are when multiple MCC's are available.