cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SMS not being delivered to US number

addiefreyja
Investigator
Investigator

Hi all, I have a PAYG plan and am trying to text someone in the US but it immediately fails and says it’s “not delivered.”

I have an iPhone 12 and have no trouble sending messages to other iPhones (iMessages) in the US, but this is the one Android phone I need to be able to text. I do have credit for texting abroad, so no issues there. I also have no trouble calling the number; only texting is a problem. This person doesn’t have any sort of block on international texting, so no trouble there, either. 

I’ve been researching the problem, but I’m more or less out of ideas. Of course, there are other ways we can get in touch with one another, but I would really like to be able to text this person, and it’s upsetting to pay for something that isn’t working correctly. 

Thanks for any ideas!

6 REPLIES 6
Northerner
Grand Master
Grand Master

Hi @addiefreyja 

Is there number correct in your contacts? (Are you using the correct country code) 

Thanks

To contact EE Customer Services dial 150 From your EE mobile or 0800 956 6000 from any other phone. You can call Freephone +44 800 079 8586 on Skype

EE standard opening hours are 8am to 10.30pm every day.
Leanne_T
EE Community Support Team

Hi @addiefreyja

Thanks for coming to the community. 

If you go into Settings > Messages > Send as SMS > is this turned on? 

Speak soon 🙂

Leanne. 

Thank you for your messages. The “send as SMS” setting is on, and I am using the correct format for the US/Canada of +1 xxx xxx xxxx. However, I’ve noticed that if I try to text this particular number, my phone wants to make the number +44 xxxx xxxxxx. But I am including the +1 so I’m not sure why it’s trying to do this. 

Leanne_T

Hi @addiefreyja

Thanks for coming back to us. 

Can you try deleting the contact and send a new text without the number saved, does the text send? 

Thanks 🙂

Leanne.

Hi @Leanne_T  —

I did try that as well, and unfortunately no luck. When I typed in the number directly after deleting the contact, that’s when I noticed that my phone changed the format of the number from a +1 to a +44 number. It’s so strange!

Thanks for your suggestions!

Leanne_T

Thanks @addiefreyja 

Is the software up to date on your iPhone? 

Are you able to try the SIM card in another phone, to see if you can send the text message? 

Thanks.

Leanne.