cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems with receiving SMS OTP verification codes from international numbers

Theo77
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

I know that there have been many threads already about this, but I have not found a solution so I am posting my own question. 

I have been unable to receive almost all OTP's from international numbers since February 2023 (whether I'm abroad or in the UK). This specifically effects international numbers as most OTP's from UK numbers/companies work.

I have not changed anything on my side so I assume EE is blocking these messages as suspected spam.

One interesting example of this problem is logging in to some public WiFi networks abroad. They require me to enter my phone number, and then enter a code that is sent via text message. 

As I try and connect to the same networks each year I can see how this situation has evolved:

• Before I ported my number over to EE from iD in Summer 2021,, I always received these texts within seconds

• In 2022 logging onto these same networks I mostly received the texts (one failed)

• In 2023 logging on to these same networks one was successful after a long 45 minute wait but many were not

• In 2024 none of these networks at all had a text that got through. I had to connect to WiFi using often very complicated alternative methods.

Do you think EE's spam detection systems are just getting stricter and stricter? Is there any solution without changing phone network?  

5 REPLIES 5
Christopher_G
EE Community Support Team

Hi @Theo77 

What kind of phone do you use? It would be interesting to know if this same thing happens when you put your SIM in another phone. Are you able to try that?

Chris

Theo77
Established Contributor
Established Contributor
I'm currently using an iPhone 15 Pro and also had this same issue on my iPhone 12 Pro before I recently upgraded. I don't think its the phone at fault as an eSIM from another network in the same phone always receives codes from these same public WiFi networks and from other websites within seconds. I don't have an Android phone I can test with.
Christopher_G
EE Community Support Team

OK, thanks @Theo77 

I recommend speaking to our Technical Support team so that they can take this information from you, check everything on your account from our side and raise it further, if needed.

Chris

bristolian
Legend
Legend

My understanding is that guidance on avoiding the risk of false-positive blocks on inbound foreign-SMS is available to all senders.

Operators are in something of a no-win situation here. Be seen to encourage spam-SMS on the one-hand, versus risk criticism for vastly reducing the problem because some genuine senders (who potentially don't follow guidance) get blackholed.

At least one other operator is now introducing a very similar system to that of EE.

Theo77
Established Contributor
Established Contributor
That's very interesting to know. If you don't mind please do tell me which operator so I don't accidentally get a backup SIM from them.
Do you think customer service would be able to decrease the amount that are blocked for my account? Or is this unlikely and should I continue with the strategy of needing multiple SIMS active before I try to connect to one of these networks?
Out of interest if you'd like to know these networks include fairly busy and well-known locations such as:
• Zurich Airport and Geneva Airport (although one can technically instead get an access code through physically registering with ID/boarding pass at both, it just takes a lot longer)
• All networks in Switzerland using the Swisscom PWLAN system (including major supermarket chains, city-wide WiFi, hotels, motorway service stations and several major banks)