cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EE Business Caller ID

StevenG9
Visitor

Can these be ‘Spoofed’ like phone numbers can?

6 REPLIES 6
James_B
EE Community Support Team

Hi @StevenG9,

Welcome to the EE Community. 🙂

Have you received a call from someone impersonating an EE representative?

James

MugPunter
Investigator
Investigator

I received a text message from EE informing me that without any consultation and certainly not with my consent, EE have added Business Caller ID to my plan.

From what I can see, this permits any company, even those on a handset blocked list to simply display their name and so override any blocks put on nuisance numbers, such as software scammers or home insulation sales. EE claim it's to do with privacy. No, it's not. This is why the unwanted numbers have been blocked. In granting companies this facility, all they've done is given them carte blanche to continue being a pest, regardless of the cost of effect upon the consumer. 

James_B

Hi @MugPunter,

Welcome to the EE Community. 🙂

The Business Caller ID service doesn't prevent you from blocking a number in your phone's settings or override any existing call blocking rules.

Hope this helps.

James

How strange then, that an 0845 number, belonging to a right pest of a company which is on my blocked list was able to get through. Prior to the Caller ID, they simply used their number, which I was able to block. Now, with the addition of their company name, the call came through, despite still being registered as a blocked number. 

James_B

Hi @MugPunter,

Could they have been calling from a different number?

Although Business Caller ID will display the business name for businesses that are registered with Hiya, the call is still connected from the number the call originates from.

James

The following has been copied with consent from another EE customer who is experiencing a similar problem.

"Had the same. That's not good then, because the amount of scammers using decommissioned numbers of businesses like MOT garages and all sorts. But I already would get the name popping up over the number so I was a bit confused at the point. If what you say is the case we'll need to go in to our ee account and remove the service or contact them to remove it if it can't be manually."