cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Am unable to send/receive text messages from abroad

Charlie182
Investigator
Investigator

Am not using mobile data to avoid roaming but am connected to wifi. Am able to make /receive WhatsApp calls but not text messages.

I have activated roaming and premium calls options.

Any advice?

Many thanks in advance

PS am unable to log in to 'Live Chat' options hence have to trouble the community.

4 REPLIES 4
Chris_B
Grand Master
Grand Master

@Charlie182  do you mean WhatsApp messages? Or text message? 

You’ll not receive text via WiFi.  You need to be connected to a cellular network for these to come through.  If your in the EU you can use your tariff allowance at no extra charge as this is allowed.   

Hi Chris,

Thanks for your prompt reply. Am in Singapore. Earlier I was able to receive (SMS) texts, but i fiddled with my settings and now can't! 

My WhatsApp is fine. I can't recall if my mobile data should be on or off? 

@Charlie182  Cellular data can be off  you need to be connected to a network though,  you must of switched something else off.    Just to check you haven’t enabled airplane mode ? As this will turn all connections off to the network. 

WhatsApp is an app just like Facebook, BBC news etc, that just needs a data connection - whether that's via a mobile network or just via a broadband router over WiFi is immaterial.

To send & receive text messages requires a connection to a mobile network. In the UK you can use WiFi-calling to send & receive texts, but WiFi-calling is not supported abroad.