Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

cant access CCTV and Webcams on EE 4g

FishInASombrero
Investigator
Investigator

Hi All

I'm really pulling my hair out with this and can anyone help please.

About 10 months ago or so, I suddenly wasnt able to access my CCTV on the EE 4G network on my mobile (2019 Sony Xperia XZ3 android).

I have trawled google and seen a few other posts on this but not an actual solution though.

I CAN access the CCTV with no problem doing the following :
        On Wifi (any wifi)
        Tethering my phone to another mobile network (eg vodafone)
         Using my CCTV app on other mobiles/networks (eg Vodafone 4g)
         with a proxy server active on my EE phone
         even abroad eg recently on Movistar EE in Spain worked fine when roaming (when I came back to the UK, it worked for about a week then stopped again)

but it will not for the life me connect to my CCTV on EE 4G in the UK.

I have checked all the phone network and data setting and says IPV4/5 enabled, data on, app allowed data access etc, but nothing changes.

I have heard EE are purposely blocking port 80 router access, but I don't know how to change this on my router

Can anyone help or I'm going to switch both our networks/contracts to another provider to one that works at the end of our contracts as this is a deal breaker for me.

Many thanks 

JC

8 REPLIES 8
Leanne_T
EE Community Support Team

Hi @FishInASombrero 

Thanks for coming here. 

Can you access other internet sites and apps using the EE SIM card?

What happens when you try and connect to the CCTV? 

Leanne 🙂

XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

@FishInASombrero : EE don't & can't block port 80 access to your mobile router. it's purely within you own local LAN & needed to manage the router. Have you tried logging in to your MBB router at http://192.168.1.1 with username/pwd as "admin"/"admin" or with the admin password found under the battery cover. That is using port 80 (HTTP).

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

Hi Leanne 

everything else datawise using 4g works normally, netflix facebook, music streaming webrowsing

If I open the cctv app on both my personal EE phone, and my works Vodafone 4g, the vodafone, connects immediately, the EE 4g it eggtimes for a minute then displays "failed to connect" with a broken signal logo

Many thanks

says so on this thread - 

EE block dynamic DDNS lookups against the most popular ports, eg. 80 - So I have reconfigured my system to open up port 79 and now I can view my CCTV. I have no idea why EE would do this port blocking. For the non tech savvy, you will lose customers if they rely on this sort of thing. Ridiculous.

https://community.ee.co.uk/t5/Archived-Posts/3G-amp-4G-no-access-to-CCTV-via-DDNS/td-p/954487https://community.ee.co.uk/t5/Archived-Posts/3G-amp-4G-no-access-to-CCTV-via-DDNS/td-p/954487 

my router is not the issue as I can access the cctv over ANY other network....... just NOT EE 4g

That is something different. It's a limitation of EE's mobile network. The EE mobile network uses Carrier Grade NAT (CGNAT) resulting in a double NAT, which means that you don't get your own public IP address but share it with other users. So you can't be uniquely id'ed on the Net & therefore your LAN cannot be addressed from outside for unsolicited accesses, e.g by DDNS. This is unlike fixed BB.

That still wouldn't affect any access to your router. It is on your LAN & never needs port 80 access from outside.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)
MalikBhai
Explorer

@FishInASombrero 
Hi there, hope you’re doing well, 

im facing the exact same issue on my EE sim, my CCTV camera can be accessed through any WiFi or even if my phone is connected to WiFi hotspot. 
I ordered a camera and I found out it works fine when my phone is connected to WiFi but never on my EE 4g data, so I decided to return it, then I thought why the camera works on any WiFi and not EE 4g, rang the bell and googled it, found your post and here I am.

EE why? Why you do that?

please let me know if you had any luck solving this issue, I’ll be really grateful. Thanks 🙏 

samgoodfield512
Investigator
Investigator

What CCTV system do you use, I have HIKvision and use the Hik app and it works fine. 

IT expert, founder and CEO of ffon.uk a hosting provider based in Wales.

It’s a very normal PTZ wifi outdoor camera ordered from China, I had a Reolink PTZ indoor camera before and that worked fine, EE won’t allow me to view this one remotely for some reasons