No Voice calls...

Stevil75
Explorer

For the last five days I have been unable to make or receive any voice calls while I'm at home...

Signal strength is the same as it's ever been. Data speed tests the same as usual. Text messaging no problem. But no voice calls received and all attempts to make calls result in "Call Failed"

However, if I walk two streets over (approx 200m away) I can make and receive calls normally...

Is anyone able to offer a probable/possible explanation for this phenomenon..?

4 REPLIES 4
bristolian
Legend
Legend

There's a few possibilities, and a few specific tests will help narrow this one down if you're so minded..

Use the "check status" option on https://ee.co.uk/help/mobile-coverage-checker to check for, and if necessary report, known issues.

1: Are you using Apple or Android?

2: If your phone has a menu option to change network mode, try altering to 2G - can you make/receive calls in the affected location? Data will be next to useless here, so it's for testing only.

3: Can you make/receive calls over WiFi-calling? The core network components are the same.

4: If you make a call away from home and then travel back, does the call hold? Or drop at any point?

Thank you for replying...

The Network Coverage Checker says the 4G/2G coverage for my area are both excellent, however, if I attempt to use the Service Status Checker (using the browser and data on my phone) it just bubbles away for 30 seconds then gives up. If I attempt to use the same function via the EE app I'm met with a message stating "You have no EE products" even though I'm using EE data to connect to them...

Answers
1. Android

2. Already tried multiple combinations of LTE on/off, 2G only, mobile data off - No calls possible...

3. Wi-Fi calling isn't an option on my phone...

4. As I walk back in the direction of home the call will become fragmented/digitalised and then drop out...

I saw there was another post on this forum from a lady possibly experiencing the same thing, she posted on the same day I started to have problems, and was in the  postcode area (NN3) adjacent to mine (NN2) - So my best "guess" is that there's a fault with a specific EE cell tower, but I really don't know...

Hopefully they'll sort it out, otherwise I'll have to fork out for a new phone with VoLTE (which I assume would solve the problem) or sell up, and buy a new house two streets over... 😉

bristolian
Legend
Legend

You've mentioned not having a VoLTE phone, the benefits of this can't be overstated these days. Not having VoLTE means using 2G for all your calls, which brings reduced coverage and call clarity.

There are some Android apps which - with some basic knowledge and/or direction - can pull the radio stack info and potentially identify an offending sector. That can then be used to report on the status tool.

Leanne_T
EE Community Support Team

Hi @Stevil75 

Thanks for coming to the community. 

Can you try logging into the Service Status Checker using a new web browser to report the problem in the area, or give us a call on 150 and our tech guides will get this looked into for you. 

Leanne 🙂