Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Limitations placed on a mast

sonnyrider
Investigator
Investigator

Hi

The mast I connect my 5g router (RUTX50 and ext 4x4 mimo antenna) to had a hardware failure, took nearly a week to 'fix'. My connection speeds are now downgraded compared to before the 'repair'.

I've been chatting with EE via twitter, trying to get to the bottom of the issues and they've told me the mast now has a limitation placed on it, and no further info as to when this restriction will be removed.

I've asked them if another mast that is close by would offer me a better experience, but no reply.

I think I'm currently connected to tower 20982, the other mast is tower 20936

Trying to find an answer to a simple question is taxing.

Anyone able to offer me any guidance?

8 REPLIES 8
bristolian
Legend
Legend

eNB ID 20936 is roughly located near Clutton in South Bristol, and has 2x1800Mhz carriers (30Mhz in total), a single 15Mhz B1 carrier, B20-4G and is also 5G-equipped.

eNB ID 20982 is near Midsomer Norton, and has a single 1800Mhz carrier of 20Mhz, along with 5Mhz of B20.

Depending which location you are nearest, have you used the "report a problem" link on the status checker?

sonnyrider
Investigator
Investigator

Really appreciate this reply.

I'm in Timsbury, looking at those frequencies, the Clutton (20936)  one will suit me better than the one I'm currently connected to. Or least I think I'm connected to.
Te contact from twitter won't help me any more, the limitation is there, and I can't request for it to be lifted, or get an answer as to why it's placed...

As far as the twitter person was concerned, there's no further problem on the mast I'm connected to, but they won't let me know which one I'm connected to, nor which one will give me the best experience out of the two - handy and helpful at the same time . . .

I guess I can report a problem, but with my current experience, I would say it won't go any further, as it's the engineers who place the limitations on the masts. I can appreciate there may be a good reason, but to basically hit a brick wall is frustrating

Paulg0
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Have you tried playing around with the manual band selections on your RUTX. You may be able to increase performance doing this. I have had great success with similar TRB500 router

Paul

Hi

I have not played with any settings, as out of the box the router was brilliant. I would get between 300 - 400+ connections.

I didn't know you could play with the band selections. Where is that option?

Apparently I'm not connected to the tower that has restrictions, my router is connecting to two others, which have had work on them recently. And my issues have been since they've done this work.

Paulg0
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Band selection is buried in the options. I dont have mine to hand but there is a guide at https://wiki.teltonika-networks.com/view/RUTX50_Mobile.

If you look at the connection staus the router should say what bands you are currently connected on. I usually remove one band at a time in turn  to encourage a different band to be used, and do a speed test to check. There is a guide to which bands EE use at https://pedroc.co.uk/content/ee-network-technical-summary#:~:text=EE%20operates%202G%2C%203G%2C%204G....

Paul

Thanks for this, really helpful.

As I'm only using the SIM for data, not voice, if I disabled the VoLTE, would it effect my data connection?

Handy link re the bands. My router is swapping between two towers. And one is better over the other. I can't get that answer from EE at the moment.

I've also ordered a different antenna, as the current one I'm restricted with the coax length limits. So I will be trying out more positions around the house over the weekend. My partner despairs

Paulg0
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Good luck with your experimentation... I havent really worked out what the volte setting does given that its not a voice device.

Paul

Thanks, I'm getting nowhere with EE, as I'm not one of their engineers, so they won't furnish me with the information to help me point and connect to the better tower in my vicinity.

You're not one of us, so, we can't help you. Plus you're not using our equipment, so, we can't help you.

'Support' is random, it depends who you get on whether they want to help you or not. So far, I've two unhelpful, and one helpful.

Frustrating, to say the least.