cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Full 4G, but cannot make calls

jgray2023
Investigator
Investigator

Having a weird situation crop up a lot. I was in a rural area, with full 4G coverage. Getting around 80mbps down and 40mbps up. Data worked flawlessly.

However, I was unable to make or receive calls at all. Whenever I tried, my phone would flip to no service and the call would fail. Then as soon as it had failed, it would go straight back to full 4G. 

Any ideas what is wrong? It's not in isolated incident, I've noticed quite a few times where I've had a strong data connection, but completely unable to make or receive calls 

Sony Xperia 1ii

6 REPLIES 6
Leanne_T
EE Community Support Team

Hi @jgray2023 

Thanks for coming here. 

Does any one else on EE have the same problem? 

How often does this happen? 

Leanne 🙂

bristolian
Legend
Legend

Does the phone show VoLTE (Android) or 4G-calling (Apple) when a 4G-call fails?

For how long has this been a problem?

If you deselect 4G in your phone's network settings menu (or force 2G/3G only) do you still get coverage?

Not sure where to see if VoLTE is available or not, but at the signal bars it just said LTE, (not 4G technically). It's unusual I guess, usually I'll get  LTE+ when 5G isn't available, but on this occasion it was just LTE

I tried selecting 2G or 3G only in the settings at the time, and it went to no service. Then once I allowed 4G again, service resumed (still no call ability though)

bristolian
Legend
Legend

The indicator should be next to your signal indicators, are you using Apple or Android?

It sounds like you're in an area only served by the Band20 800Mhz service, which relies on VoLTE - the technology which supports 4G-calling - to allow access.

For whatever reason, your phone is likely not using VoLTE - which explains your symptoms.

any idea why that would happen? do I need to flash my network settings or something? When I was with vodafone, 4G calling worked perfectly

bristolian
Legend
Legend

This situation is unique to EE's "extended range" 800Mhz service, where there isn't always any 2G or 3G fallback available.

Some Android phones have a VoLTE toggle in the connection or call settings, I am unsure on Apple.