Coverage in Oxford

Leanne_T
EE Community Support Team

Update: 03 May 2024

To provide the same level of coverage in the area as the previous mast, we will be progressing two permanent masts and our engineers have found two locations for new masts. Our engineers have visited multiple areas to conduct surveys and found the other areas would not be suitable for the equipment or would not be health and safety compliant.

For the first location, we are in negotiations with the council to agree the design for the site. Pending a positive outcome from the negotiations, we can start legal steps to legally acquire the land from the council and start building the equipment needed for the new mast. 

For the second area, our engineers are completing surveys and designs at the location to make sure the area will be suitable. Pending a positive outcome from the surveys, we can start legal steps to legally acquire the land from the site provider and start building the equipment needed for the new mast.

To improve coverage in the area as quickly as possible, our engineers will be completing upgrades on one of the existing masts in the area. The mast will need extensive work to complete the upgrades and our engineers are completing designs and surveys at the existing mast. Once the designs and surveys have been completed, we can confirm a date for the upgrades to be installed on the mast.

We will keep you updated on this post.

Update: 19 March 2024

Over the past few months, our engineers have visited multiple locations to conduct surveys to make sure the locations will be suitable for the equipment needed for a new mast. Once the surveys have been completed and the location will be suitable, we can start legal steps to legally acquire the land and start building the equipment needed for the new mast.

To improve coverage in the area as quickly as possible, our engineers will be completing upgrades on one of the existing masts in the area. These upgrades will increase coverage and capacity to Oxford.

We are aware of a signal issue that is affecting some of our customers in the Oxford area. Our mast in the area had to be removed from the existing site at the end of January 2024, as this was requested by the landowner.

Our engineers began looking for a new location as soon as we were made aware our equipment had to be removed. We have located several areas for a new mast and are currently conducting surveys to make sure the locations will be suitable for the equipment. Pending a positive outcome and a new area that will be suitable, we can start legal steps to legally acquire the land from the site provider and start building the equipment needed for the new mast.

We’re sorry for any inconvenience caused. In the meantime, you may be able to use WiFi Calling to make and receive calls and texts over a WiFi connection. 

For information on who can use WiFi Calling and how to set up this service, please see our Using WiFi Calling, Help page.

24 REPLIES 24
Mstom
Investigator
Investigator

Shows how useless the status and coverage maps are. They say there is no problem as always!

domandmary
Visitor

Is there any timeline on when this will be sorted?

If they are still at the stage of looking for a new site expect it to be many months or even longer before a new mast will be online.

Yes, their map is misleading at best - signal in OX4 is particularly poor and has been for years.

musicalmark
Visitor

Given how long this has been going on, I wonder if there will be an offer of compensation for those of us who are persistently in this area of no signal - my office location has had pretty much no service for about a month now... seriously considering jumping ship.

Some sort of roaming agreement would be good, apparently calls can work if you have WiFi or mobile data on another SIM, and WiFi Calling. But I'm not sure the mast site was unique to EE, I also had no signal on O2 near Oriel Square/The Bear, fortunately had access to university wifi.

Same - I have to use the work WiFi (I’m in the city centre) to be able to use my phone. Contracts up at the end of March, so leaving then! Can’t be doing with another price rise given they haven’t improved the network in the city for years.

Shrekhamera
Investigator
Investigator

Data signal in broad street an Cornmarket street is very poor struggling to use apps I use for work and also it’s difficult to order a McDonalds on the app because data is so slow

Helen121171
Visitor

Please provide an update on timeline for resolution.

We have one family member at university in the city and this is a safety issue.