cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to connect to a Windows VPN

mikef2
Investigator
Investigator

I'm trying to create a PPTP VPN connection from my Android phone to my office.

VPN works fine when phone is on wifi. However I'm unable to connect to the VPN when my phone (EE) is on mobile data (not wifi) connection.

I can connect to VPN using my laptop and tablet on wifi, except when the wifi is provided by my EE phone hotspot. VPN connection also works fine when using the data connection of another phone (Tesco mobile). This points to EE blocking traffic and therefore preventing the connection from being established.

Any idea?

7 REPLIES 7
Christopher_G
EE Community Support Team

Hi @mikef2

Welcome to the community.

Are you getting any error messages or anything when you try to connect?

Chris

mikef2
Investigator
Investigator

@Christopher_G  - the phone just says "Connecting..." on the VPN page, and never moves to "Connected".

On the VPN server, there's a message in the event log:

A connection between the VPN server and the VPN client 213.205.208.33 has been established, but the VPN connection cannot be completed. The most common cause for this is that a firewall or router between the VPN server and the VPN client is not configured to allow Generic Routing Encapsulation (GRE) packets (protocol 47).

However my firewall and router can't be the problem because the VPN connection works when my phone (or any other device I'm connecting from) is on a non-EE connection (eg, home WiFi).

Mike

Christopher_G

I'm not sure what could be causing this, @mikef2

Have you tried speaking with the VPN provider to see if there are any troubleshooting steps for their service?

Chris

mikef2
Investigator
Investigator

Hi @Christopher_G 
I control the VPN server at my office. The error message is as shown above.

This isn't a 3rd party VPN service (eg, NordVPN) - it's my Windows Server.

Why is it failing only over EE connection?

Mike

Christopher_G

I would suggest either speaking to our Technical Support team, or Microsoft's, @mikef2.

Hopefully they can help you with this.

Chris

Puffing-Billy
Visitor

i have this same problem.   was there a resolution?

thanks

pilch74
Visitor

I have this exact issue, frustrating not to see any solution within the community 😞