cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roaming in Canada SOS

worrabkram
Investigator
Investigator

Hi I arrived in Canada yesterday but can't seem to use my roaming the phone just displays SOS

I've got a roam abroad pass which should cover Canada and the US. This was working fine for me last week in Europe!

I can't contact EE as my phone won't let me make any external calls.

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
worrabkram
Investigator
Investigator

Thanks both for the replies. 

I ended up having to call in to get EE to sort this out. Roaming was enabled but only for EU, despite my pack covering US+Canada.

All sorted now

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
Schockwave
Community Hero
Community Hero

Hello @worrabkram ,

Welcome to the community,

Have you tried rebooting your phone and have you done a manual search to see if you can get a signal which would work?

As you were in Europe, you obviously have roaming activated on your account, so should be able to use your phone.

If you look at my signature and have  something like Skype, and are still having problems, you should be able to call customer service on the free number.

To contact EE customer service dial 150 from your mobile phone or ring customer service for free using Skype or another phone: +44 800 079 8586 or +44 800 956 6000.
bristolian
Legend
Legend

Regardless of any billing add-on, your ability to get coverage abroad (which calls, texts & mobile data rely on) is dependent on roaming being activated - which allows your phone to connect to foreign networks.

Pay-monthly allows you to have EU-specific roaming permissions and global ones. It sounds like you have only EU-roaming enabled if your phone has worked there previously.

If you are on pay-monthly and now find yourself abroad with incorrect roaming permissions, your only recourse will be to contact CS to request it activated. You can either contact +44 7953 966150 from another working phone, or +44 800 0798586 using a web-calling app such as Skype over WiFi.

XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

Having a roaming billing add-on doesn't of itself activate roaming on your a/c.

@worrabkram wrote:

This was working fine for me last week in Europe!

You may very well had roaming activated in the EU but not globally.  Did you activate roaming on your EE a/c before you left UK by texting ROAMING to 150? If not, you need to call CS to get your roaming activated. Try calling CS on the Freephone no. in my sig. on Skype over WiFi. It should be free.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)
worrabkram
Investigator
Investigator

Thanks both for the replies. 

I ended up having to call in to get EE to sort this out. Roaming was enabled but only for EU, despite my pack covering US+Canada.

All sorted now

Thanks! You're welcome 🙂 ! Glad I could be of assistance & trust it is now sorted.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

Yes I have had the same problem since arriving here 4 days ago, despite setting everything up in the UK. A long online chat today via hotel WiFi and it is now resolved. I hope EE bother to read these pages as it seems a common issue that they need to sort.It has caused a lot of hassle and wasted time.   I left THREE because of their appalling customer service issues and had hoped better from EE. 

@telboy99 wrote:

Yes I have had the same problem ....A long online chat today via hotel WiFi and it is now resolved

What was the issue that EE resolved for you?

Enabling global roaming &/or spend cap issues are both avoidable and resolvable via self-serve means.

worrabkram
Investigator
Investigator

I don't agree with this. I spoke to EE prior to my European trip and was advised my phone was enabled for global roaming. Worked fine in Europe but not when I got to Canada.

It took me about 4 hours to sort this out whilst in Canada. Really not helped by the fact that the chat feature is not available from abroad!

@worrabkram wrote:

I don't agree with this. I spoke to EE prior to my European trip and was advised my phone was enabled for global roaming. Worked fine in Europe but not when I got to Canada.

What don't you agree with?

If an EE CS agent advised you that global roaming was enabled, you're entitled to accept that it is. Sounds like your issue was very specific and this may not apply to other users.

Contacting CS is always the route to resolving account-specific issues - travelling abroad without enabling roaming creates a catch-22 situation.