cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Only getting 2G on data

Bakazan
Investigator
Investigator

For years I've been getting my data via an old TMobile SIM and paying 6 monthly using 6MONTHWEB.

For the last couple of days I have only been getting 2G (presumably because EE have turned off the 3G network).

I went into an EE store today and they issued me with a new EE SIM, however I'm still only getting 2G despite the phone and presumably SIM being 5G compliant.

When I check the balance via 150 it says I have "internet on your phone and internet on your phone".

The phone is set up as NR/LTE/GSM/WCDMA but I never previously got 4G data.

The guy in the shop didn't know much about TMobile but said the 4G would just appear at some point.

Is this a problem with the TMobile 6 month deal only being 3G not 4G?

6 REPLIES 6
XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

Sounds like you haven't been given a full EE SIM if you're still getting 6MONTHWEB from it but a T-M regrade to an EE 3G SIM plan.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)
bristolian
Legend
Legend

Where, roughly, in the UK are you? 3G switchoff is rapidly progressing in some locations but should not yet be an issue in others.

Where 3G has now been switched off, a non-4G phone will be using 2G permanently.

I'm in Essex and work in central London - the 3G has been turned off here. It seems unlikely they would have given me another 3G SIM.

The phone was bought less than 6 months ago and is capable of 5G.

I guess I'll try buying a new "Pack" to see if that works.

@Bakazan     you’ll not get 5G on PAYG even if your device supports 5G it’s not available yet the best you’ll get is 4G. 

Anything better than 2G would be good, 4G would be fine.

I tried to buy a pack by texting PACK10 to 150 and it didn't work.

When I check the balance it says:

Make the most of your credit. Get 100 mins, 400 texts and a massive 1GB data to use over 30 days for just £10. Text PACK10 to 441 to buy now.

This is not the EE deal so I guess my account is somehow locked to only offering TMobile packs??

James_B
EE Community Support Team

Hi @Bakazan,

I'd recommend contacting Customer Care on 150 so a member of the team can check your account has been correctly migrated from T-Mobile to EE.

They'll be happy to help. 🙂

James