cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GPS tracker GPRS data and EE PAYG SIM card questions

Basil21
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

A GPS tracker has worked on a PAYG EE SIM card for over two years. The other day it suddenly stopped sending GPRS data. I can text the device and read and change settings. I can phone it, hang up and it returns a text of correct GPS location coordinates and a link to Google maps.

I can command it to turn on either SMS or GPRS data, and it returns "ok", but when I read its settings by text it shows GPRS remains stubbornly off. Of course,. with GPRS off it cannot send live positional updates to the tracking server.

I have plenty of EE credit, calls, data and text wise, but topped up as a precaution yesterday, but nothing changed. Is there any data limit that may have been exceeded, although GPRS in this scenario is very very frugal?

Is this setting held on the SIM card from EE, or in the tracker device itself? Has anything occured to possibly effect 2G GPRS "stuff", or have there been any sudden changes in APN settings?

Can a SIM "wear out" in a tracker or become corrupt? The device shuts down by he vehicle cutting power to the circuit its on after three hours, so it is rebooted on average twice daily.

Thanks for any advice, I wiped the data to the device's factory setting and input the tracking and APN data afresh, but GPRS remains off, so no live updates are forthcoming.

I have a different make of tracker also on an EE PAYG SIM and with the same GPS tracker map people, and that remains outputting GPRS with live updates just fine, and has been so doing for over 2 years.

6 REPLIES 6
Chris_B
Grand Master
Grand Master

@Basil21   Can you swap the 2 sims over between the devices?   You need to see if the device is at fault or the sim is.    If the sim works in the other device it’s a device fault. 

Basil21
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Thanks for the reply Chris. I *THINK* I would have to re-write the settings for the other tracker to the SIM in the troublesome one, which is a different device, so it may not be as conclusive as it should be. Plus the vehicle with the troublesome tracker is miles away, locked in a compound I have limited access to. If I have to go and remove the device it would probably be more cost effective to bin it and fit a new one... Damned thing! 🙂

Thanks for your help, if it was here I would try that for sure. I am still hoping for a remote fix 🙂

Basil21
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

A few days later the SIM in the other tracker, a Teltonika (reputable make, not some Ebay Chinese thing) also stopped sending GPRS data. Seems like one hell of a coincidence, may I ask the best way to find out if EE have changed anything at their end that may inhibit or prohibit devices sending GPRS on PAYG SIMS? Thanks Chris!. I find it hard to believe two totally different devices are still accessible by text but neither are sending GPRS, and both went off line within a week of one another...

James_B
EE Community Support Team

Hi @Basil21,

I'd recommend getting in touch with Customer Care so our Technical Support Team can take a look at this for you.

They'll be happy to help. 🙂

James

Basil21
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Thanks James, suspicion is they need updated SIM cards, and the support was superb (Thank you Tim in tech support!).   I will update once the cards land

James_B
EE Community Support Team

Thanks for letting us know @Basil21

I'm glad Tim was able to help. 🙂

James