cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EE Coverage 5/5 bars, mobile phone is 5/5 bars but 4GEE Home Router is 2/5 bars

Chiu852
Investigator
Investigator

I have just received my 4GEE Home Router 3, the SIM card is in, it is plugged in and up and running in the apartment.

My mobile phone is connected to Mobile Data on it's own running on GiffGaff 5/5 bars

The EE website stated 5/5 bars 4G coverage at my postcode, indoor and outdoor

So I purchased the 4GEE Home Router 3 expecting the router to receive the same signal as a mobile phone would, but it's only getting 2/5 bars on signal

It doesn't seem to make sense, is there a setting I need to update?

10 REPLIES 10

Hi @Chiu852 ,

Thanks for carrying out those empirical tests and reporting back. What you've described is perfectly within the bounds of expectation based on my 24 months with Three and my roughly 7 months with EE.

I recommend leaving the router in that position over at least a few days to get a feeling of what signal you can typically expect in that location. Ideally you want a router which can report the Cell ID of the cell tower it is connected to so that you can correlate good and bad performance with the cell tower locations on cellmapper.net Some forum users do not like me to recommend this website as it is not simple to use.

11 Mbps down and 23 Mbps up is indicative of congestion upstream of your location (e.g. the cell tower backhaul). It suggests the signal is good enough for in excess of 23 Mbps down if the congestion were not present. I wouldn't be too worried for the moment as my measured bandwidths with EE improved over time as I spent less time camped on bad and congested cell towers. With 11 Mbps down, I would be tempted to restart the radio a few times during the day in case I can get the router to connect to a better cell tower.

Ideally you should have compared the measured bandwidth on the phone with the measured bandwidth once the router was put there. I would have expected a modern phone to give better measured performance than a slightly older router. A modern phone with a good antenna is also likely to see better signal which is why testing the router itself is better than indirectly using the phone try to test for the best position for the router which has a different antenna and almost certainly a different modem.

Even though you've positioned the router away from the city center, I think there's a pretty high chance you are camped on a cell tower in the city center based on the congestion, you can check this with the Cell ID on cellmapper.net Due to surrounding buildings, materials in the line of sight and reflections, it's entirely possible that positioning the router further from the city center actually gets you a better signal to city center cell towers. Only observation over time will indicate whether your router can camp on a better cell tower for the times of day when you want the highest bandwidth. You should aim for sub 60 ms latency and under 30 ms is ideal. 22 ms is about the lowest I've seen.

-- 
Contract SIM: Plan | Data | Usage | Check Status | Abroad | Chat | SMS | APN | PM
Wired: Check Speed | Test Socket | Faults | fast.com | speedtest.net