cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data abroad

Killingfieldz
Investigator
Investigator

My contract started in June 2021 so as far as I was aware I could roam with my data, I’ve just received a text from ee on the boat to Spain saying I need to but a data plan. What’s the score ? 

7 REPLIES 7
James_B
EE Community Support Team

Hi @Killingfieldz,

Welcome to the EE Community. 🙂

Have you changed your plan or upgraded since then?

James

Hi James. 
I let my contractor run the full term and didn’t bother upgrading. 
I went to Benidorm last August and Hamburg last December and never incurred any extra charges. 

Just receiving the text got me a little worried as I’m using my mobile as a sat nav for a motorcycle trip. 

cheers Liam. 

James_B

Could you have been connected to a maritime network when you received the text @Killingfieldz?

James

Hi James, I think I probably was connected to a Maritime network.
the text came through on this number 1024. 

this was the text I received. 

From EE: To access the internet abroad you need to buy a roaming data add-on. You only pay for the add-on you buy so you'll always know exactly what you're spending. For an add-on that lasts 24 hours, reply to this text for free with the code 4MB (to get 4MB for £6.52), 10MB (10MB for £13.06). For an add-on that lasts 7 days text 22MB7 (22MB for £32.64) or 50MB7 (50MB for £65.32).

thanks. 

James_B

Hi @Killingfieldz,

Yes, that's the information for the maritime connection that won't be included with your plan.

James

Ah okay. 
so in future I should leave my phone on airplane mode at sea so I don’t get any shocks 😂 

thanks very much Andy 👍 for helping and putting my mind at ease. 

Cheers Liam. 

James_B

No problem @Killingfieldz 

Have great trip! 🙂

James