Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ZTE 5G MC888

Highlandspring3
Investigator
Investigator

Hi,

I purchased this router with an EE sim last October. It worked perfectly until last Monday.

It stopped working, i took the sim out and put in my phone and 5 g worked fine. I tried a Giff Gaff sim in the ZTE router and that worked fine. So there is  a compatibility problem it would seem, but why suddenly after 5 months?

I called EE who sent me a new SIM. I called ZTE who couldn't understand it and sent me a new router.

Today i tried again , exactly same issue. The EE sim card works but not in the ZTE router and a different SIM card (both Voda and Giff Gaff ) work in the router.

Can someone throw some light on this absurd situation. Please don't suggest rebooting or factory reset i went through all that last week and it didn't work. The  fact is the router works the SIM works, but they are no longer compatible,: but they were from September 2023 to February 2024  inclusive! 

Thanks in anticipation

17 REPLIES 17
Leanne_T
EE Community Support Team

Hi @Highlandspring3 

Thanks for coming to the community. 

Has there been any manufacturer updates on the router recently? 

What happens when the EE SIM card is installed in the router? Can you connect devices but unable to access data? 

Thanks 🙂

Leanne.

Hi

yes it connect to all devices.

I get a red light on the router when i install the EE sim. No issue when i install GiffGaff 

The red light is for "network"

Leanne_T

Thanks @Highlandspring3 

I would suggest speaking to the manufacturer again to see if there has been any updates at all since the SIM last worked for you. 

Leanne.

Highlandspring3
Investigator
Investigator

They sent me a brand new router, and it is installed with latest updates

The SIM card is brand new and the router is brand new. 

I have contacted ZTE and will see what they say and revert.

I

Leanne_T

Let me know how you get on after contacting them again @Highlandspring3 

Thanks. 

Leanne.

Highlandspring3
Investigator
Investigator

They confirmed the router is updated with latest software!

James_B

Hi @Highlandspring3,

I'm sorry to hear the manufacturer hasn't been able to resolve the compatibility issue you're experiencing.

Hopefully they'll be able to resolve it with a future update.

James

KGB72
Explorer

Hi,

I have had EXACTLY the same issue.

The SIM was provided by scancom, and they said that they have had a flood of these issues, because some companies/networks have shut down their 2G/3G capabilities, and as a result (though I don’t understand why!) the cards no longer work with certain routers (including ZTE and Huawei).

I bought the router from Amazon, and had an online chat with them. They have said that they will refund the cost of the router as it is no longer compatible. 

I will now try to find a router that has not been affected by the recent changes (although I don’t know exactly what they are!). 

Hope that helps!

KGB