cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

There will be no Wifi in the building where im going on holiday in Essex uk.

Jessica58
Investigator
Investigator

I will be away for a week in Essex with no WiFi in the flat.  I need to attend an online study group for 2 hours one evening. Can I do it on my phone connection or do I need to buy an external device, and wont that be costly if I have to.

Any advice much appreciated.

9 REPLIES 9
bristolian
Legend
Legend

Most modern smartphones have a hotspot feature which means your phone uses its incoming mobile network connection and creates a temporary wireless hotspot. This then provides wireless internet to any portable device connected to that hotspot.

The menu option is usually in your phone's connection settings, the exact location differs between Apple & Android.

Thanks for being so quick. That sounds brilliant.
I'm not very mobile savy but have found the hotspot and tethering on my
phone.
Does that mean I can connect to my computer using a usb and join the class
from there?

@Jessica58   Yes it does.    Best to try this now so you are familiar with how to go about this  best not to wait to the last minute. 

You are so right, really good advice i'll get practicing.
Thank you both so much for your advice.
Jessica

@Jessica58 wrote:

Does that mean I can connect to my computer using a usb

You wouldn't necessarily need USB. As I mentioned, the function creates a wireless hotspot. Enable the function on your phone, then search for WiFi networks on your laptop or tablet.

Connect to it as you would any other WiFi network, your phone uses the mobile network for its onward connection. In terminology, tethering tends to mean using either a wired or wireless connection.

Ok, does that mean that wifi networks will come up and I can choose which
to join. Surly they are all password protected as mine is at home. Damn, I
think this might be beyond me, wrong generation.

Where you found the hotspot on your phone it will tell you the name of the WiFi network & its pwd.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)
Thanks to all of you again, I'll give it a try.

All the best.

@Jessica58  You can also change the password to your own password if you choose to.   Just click it and change it.