cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Opinion on home 4g over fibre in North Lanarkshire (Newarthill, Motherwell)

SDD
Contributor
Contributor

Hi All,

I hope someone can help and apologies in advance for so many questions.

I'm on EE mobile phone only and currently with Vodaphone fibre BB.  Fibre only goes up to max 38mbps (more likely 18mbps) and there is no intention of Openreach upgrading (I've been waiting forever).  There is also no 5g coverage here and I need to go to the back/front door sometimes to get a good enough phone call signal - despite the internet working better on 4g phone than BB sometimes.

These are all out of contract and with EE having the best coverage here (outskirts of Motherwell UK) I'm inclined to stick with them for the phone, but I'm looking at getting mobile BB.  I'm a bit weary, as I work from home half the week and really can't be having internet issues.

There are 3 users in the household, all use music, tv streaming, and 1x gamer, but not necessarily all at the same time. The main bugbear is buffering in the middle of films or just watching BBC Iplayer. and the occasional nonsensical cut out of the internet when I'm working during the day.

Knowing the above, would anyone recommend switching to EE home 4g BB? I know it rarely ever gets up to 100mbps, but it seems a hell of a lot better than my current 18mbps.

I have a few more questions if any of you can help:

1) Will I absolutely need to install an antenna? I'm not keen on the £100 price tag to have this installed.

2) Has anyone in /near this area found 4g to be better than fibre BB and not actually worse?

3) If I take it out and it is just horrific, will I be able to swap it for EE fibre BB instead?

4) What is the difference between the EE 4g router and the BT 4g router? is it really just whether I own the equipment or not? (I don't care -just want good coverage & low cost)

5) The 5 GB boost if adding BB to my current EE  phone - does this still apply if I upgrade my plan to just a monthly sim only?

6) The last question, I'm also looking at finally upgrading TV to 4k - which means I should be able to download 4k films - will I ever be able to do this on the current max fibre BB or the home 4g? 

All your help is greatly appreciated.

1 REPLY 1
XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

I would avoid mobile BB for gaming.

Q3: Anything Voda & OR can do there EE can do equally.

Q4: Not a lot. Both are on contract. You own after 6 months anyway.

Q5: 5GB boost does not apply to Sim-Only 30-day contract.

What does BT Wholesale Broadband Availability Checker estimate for your phone number? Post just the whole table and the line above it, blanking out your phone number. If it doesn't recognise your phone number or you don't have one, use the Address Checker.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)