cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Choosing to NOT renew

smiff1000
Contributor
Contributor

I am choosing to not renew my cotnract for a 4G router when its up in April. I have called twice to do this with 30 days notice, but have no written confirmation that its NOT being renewed. When I spoke to EE they said they would confirm. Is there some way to get this in writing from them? I obviously dont want to be charged extra after the renewal date is up. Calling is clearly not working.

Thanks

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

I called and they confirmed over the phone, so OK.

I have good reason to double check. When I first switched to EE 4G router from BT broadband, it was because the OpenReach network at the time couldn't supply the speeds that BT was selling in its package. They offered to cancel the new-ish contract at the time and switch me to EE at no cost (all done over the phone). Unfortunately when the contract was cancelled according to that agreement, BT direct debited the remainder of the contract from my bank without warning, almost £1000, putting my current account into overdraft. It got sorted eventually, they had to track down the person who made the agreement with me and they confirmed, but I'm wary of anything agreed over the phone with no written confirmation.

It wouldn't hurt to confirm cancellations in a text or email I think.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

There isn't any renewal date. These mobile contracts don't just end, just the min. term expires. Nor do they need renewing. They are not fixed term contracts. After the min. term they just carry on at the same price on a rolling 30-days' notice basis until you explicitly cancel, upgrade or port your no. away.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

Thanks,

that isn't what customer services told me when I phoned, nor is it what is detailed in my plan. The plan says 30 days notice required to end contract. I called customer services before the 30 days, they said that they would charge for termination and I had to phone when it was less than 30 days to the end of the contract. Not wishing to incur any charges I called them when it was exactly 30 days before end, they said all OK, they wont charge on the rolling basis when the contract ends and they would confirm in writing, which they didn't. I just dont want to get an extra bill next month. without flagging it. I'll call again and make sure.

@smiff1000 wrote:

The plan says 30 days notice required to end contract. 

Isn't that what I said?

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)
bristolian
Legend
Legend

I've never known written confirmation be given for a standard 30day notice disconnection.

I called and they confirmed over the phone, so OK.

I have good reason to double check. When I first switched to EE 4G router from BT broadband, it was because the OpenReach network at the time couldn't supply the speeds that BT was selling in its package. They offered to cancel the new-ish contract at the time and switch me to EE at no cost (all done over the phone). Unfortunately when the contract was cancelled according to that agreement, BT direct debited the remainder of the contract from my bank without warning, almost £1000, putting my current account into overdraft. It got sorted eventually, they had to track down the person who made the agreement with me and they confirmed, but I'm wary of anything agreed over the phone with no written confirmation.

It wouldn't hurt to confirm cancellations in a text or email I think.