Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5GEE Router Dropping Connection Regularly

Lothian
Investigator
Investigator

Hi all,

I'm looking for some help.

We have a 5GEE Router and for the last few months, we keep losing connection to the internet on a regular basis, I mean it can happen every few hours, or it could happen 5 times in an hour. It can be down for 1 minute or it can be down for 5-10 minutes. There doesn't seem to be a pattern that we have noticed.

The strange thing is, when the connection drops, I can still ping websites, I can still even access my works email server on some occasions, but other times I can't, but even when the works email is up, everything else (Google, Facebook, Twitter and many other both large and small websites I've tried, including our own) are down. We have VOIP phones connected by ethernet and they all drop. Our computers are connected using Wi-Fi and that drops as well with the computers telling us there is no internet, but it's still connected to the router when this happens.

We've had the sim replaced in the router, then the router itself has been replaced but neither has solved the issue. I've factory reset, I've tried playing with settings such as switching to 4G only etc but nothing seems to make a difference.

I can't see any kind of diagnostics on the router, the logs don't seem to actually log anything about the connection status either.

Can anyone help shed some light on what I could try here?

10 REPLIES 10
Leanne_T
EE Community Support Team

Hi @Lothian 

I am sorry to hear this is happening with your router.

Have you tried restarting the router when this happens? If you pop the postcode into our coverage checker and hit 'check status', does it say if we're aware of a problem? 

Leanne.

Hi Leanne,

I have restarted it multiple times, it makes no difference, it still normally drops again within an hour. I've also factory reset and run it without changing any of the settings from the default, still the same.

The coverage checker shows no issues.

Leanne_T
EE Community Support Team

Thanks very much @Lothian 

In this case, please get in touch with our tech gurus and they will get this looked into in more detail for you. 

Leanne 🙂

Hi Leanne,

I created a new profile on the router and enabled IPv4 only. We have now gone 8 or so hours without it going down so that is definitely the issue and it's resolved now. Seems there is an issue with IPv6, but at least we have usable internet again.

BelovedxWarrior
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Had the same problem for 7 months!!! 

They don't care. 

They'll take your money every month though.

Have you disabled IPv6? We've had days without it going down now and it was going down multiple times per hour before I disabled it.

not2ropey
Investigator
Investigator

Thanks @Lothian you're a legend 👍  There are loads of people suffering with this issue.

jnoiles
Investigator
Investigator

Hero.  This has sorted my issue as well.  I was turning off IPv6 on the hosts but never thought about the router.  Way better than EE support.  If you're reading way, ping me and pints are on me.

jnoiles
Investigator
Investigator

After 3 months of perfect service I'm suddenly back to twice daily reboots.  The device tells me it has connection, I see bars of signal, the warning lights are fine then it just...stops routing out?  It's weird.  Anyone else still suffering?