cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5G speed variation

BrooksAudio
Explorer

Hi there

I live on a small road in the middle of Stroud, a medium sized town in Gloucestershire.

I didn't have the option of a wired broadband connection when I moved in, so I opted for 5G with EE.  They sent me a hh20c router (no aerial connections).

Despite my area having good 5G coverage on the map, I have not been able to get consistent speeds.  I've tried moving the router around various spots in the house, but where it is currently sometimes I can get up to 150mbps down and 25mbps up (which is good for my usage) but mostly I'm looking at around 20mbps up and 2mbps down.

Can anyone shed any light on the reason for this amount of variation in the bandwidth?

Are there any other tricks I can try to make it more consistent?  The router is up high on a book case in my conservatory, not close to any surfaces (other than glass wall / perspex roof).

PLEASE HELP!  😄

2 REPLIES 2
bristolian
Legend
Legend

Do you have an EE phone, and is this similarly affected?

If speeds are varying between times of day, and days of the week, this is most likely traffic/usage related.

Hey there.  I don't have an EE phone.  I run speed tests at different times of day, and yes, often during daytimes in the week I experience slower speeds so the thought did cross my mind!