cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Refusal to permit joint bank a/c to pay EE

Hephaistos
Contributor
Contributor

I was trying to set up a Direct Debit to pay my monthly mobile bill to EE. The Direct Debit page asks for the name of my bank account. This is a joint account with my wife, but the system will not allow the full name of the account to be entered – it cuts off after a few characters have been entered. I questioned (on EE ‘Call us’)  why this occurred and the answerwas that one cannot use a joint bank account for EE Direct Debit to pay for services. I have recently switched from Plusnet to EE for mobile usage and remain with Plusnet for broadband. Plusnet is content for me to use a joint bank a/c to pay for both broadband and mobile use, so why does EE impose this bizarre restriction? A joint bank a/c is perfectly acceptable for my myriad other regular payments via Direct Debit, but not EE!

I have not the slightest intention of establishing a separate bank a/c to pay my EE monthly mobile bills so am stuck with paying by credit card each month.

5 REPLIES 5
Christopher_G
EE Community Support Team

Hi @Hephaistos 

Welcome to the community.

If you put your name on there, it should accept the Direct Debit, as long as you're one of the named parties on the joint bank account.

Chris

Hephaistos
Contributor
Contributor

Well, I'll follow your advice and have another go by entering just my name, but I was explicitly told by an EE agent that the company did not permit the use of joint bank accounts to pay for EE services. It appears that not all agents are singing from the same hymnsheet.

Christopher_G

OK, thanks @Hephaistos.

I can't find anything to say that you can't use it. Please let me know what happens.

Chris

Hephaistos
Contributor
Contributor

My bank tells me that it is acceptable to them to use a sole name from a joint a/c to create a Direct Debit so I have completed one for EE. It remains to be seen whether it is effective. Your other staff member perhaps needs to be brought up to date.

Christopher_G

Thanks for coming back to let us know, @Hephaistos 

Chris