cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using a phone with EE broadband FTTP

wgwright
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

I have recently changed over to EE FTTP without a landline and am using a 3rd party router successfully rather than the white one provided. My router has a port that will let me plug a phone into the back of it. Is there any way I can activate this port to work with a phone now I don’t have a landline number?

2 REPLIES 2
XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

No, EE BB does not supply digital voice services. You could order a separate landline from BT until 2025.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

@wgwright   Although EE do not have a digital voice offering there are plenty of standalone VOIP suppliers offering a far more flexible and cost-effective way to have a land line number. Using an independent supplier means you are not tied to an ISP based system, some also allow you to make and answer calls on other devices such as your mobile.

The following article may give you a head start. https://www.ispreview.co.uk/talk/threads/residential-voip.38535/ 

As to whether you can use the socket on the router would depend on the router and the Voip provider interface.

The analogue PSTN network is due to close in 2025, however many areas have already reached a stop sell stage and you may already not be able to order a BT analogue line.

HTH.